And we're back!

Main Menu

Is English an easy language to learn?

Started by Razgovory, March 15, 2015, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2015, 02:17:19 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2015, 01:48:42 AM
Chinese doesn't even use alphabets.  There are no tenses, no concept of singular or plural.  Lots of English pronounciations, like "th", "v", and "r", are not found in Cantonese at all.  There are around 3,000 common Chinese characters.  I think there are far more common English words than that.
How do you communicate that something happened in the past or will happen in the future without tenses?

"I eat an Apple yesterday."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2015, 02:21:02 AM
Chinese doesn't even use alphabets.  There are no tenses, no concept of singular or plural.  Lots of English pronounciations, like "th", "v", and "r", are not found in Cantonese at all.  There are around 3,000 common Chinese characters.  I think there are far more common English words than that.
How do you communicate that something happened in the past or will happen in the future without tenses?

Lame and inefficient.  :yucky:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2015, 02:39:18 AM

In more efficient English, with tenses:

"I eat an apple yesterday"

becomes

"I ate an Apple yesterday."

:hmm:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I find English pretty easy compared to other languages. Lack of gendered words is a big deal; when I was learning German, learning the genders of every word - particularly when they don't have to correspond with Spanish genders - was a nightmare.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on March 16, 2015, 01:57:55 AM
Probably depends on how you define common.

When you look at international usage of English as a lingua franca, you'll probably find a huge variety. For tourism in many countries, people will only speak very basic English with a very small vocabulary. And there are observations among EU diplomats that while everybody understands the English of everybody just fine, the British seem to speak a different language that is not understood by everybody... ;)

Yeah, I also heard that "adequate" means something completely different in the EU/Brussels speak and when a Brit says it.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 02:52:04 AM
I find English pretty easy compared to other languages. Lack of gendered words is a big deal; when I was learning German, learning the genders of every word - particularly when they don't have to correspond with Spanish genders - was a nightmare.

That's nothing. In Polish there is also a neutral gender.

So, a table or an armchair is a "he", a gate or a curtain is a "she" but a chair or a door is an "it" (each with its own verb and pronoun form - so "this chair" and "this door" has a different word for "this" each).

celedhring

Well, that's exactly like German, it has a neutral gender too, alongside different demonstratives. Spanish technically has a neutral gender but it has limited usage and it's not a big deal.

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 16, 2015, 02:43:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2015, 02:39:18 AM

In more efficient English, with tenses:

"I eat an apple yesterday"

becomes

"I ate an Apple yesterday."

:hmm:

Why would you eat a global corporation?

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 03:12:41 AM
Well, that's exactly like German, it has a neutral gender too, alongside different demonstratives. Spanish technically has a neutral gender but it has limited usage and it's not a big deal.

Yup. And despite the similarities, I stopped learning German - it was just too difficult (admittedly I got into it when I was over 30). That being said, I am thinking of going back to French - I used to learn French when I was in high school and it is a beautiful language.

Sophie Scholl

So... what's an easy/easier language to learn?  Any thoughts?  I dabbled with Spanish in High School and Dutch in College.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 16, 2015, 03:14:31 AM
So... what's an easy/easier language to learn?  Any thoughts?  I dabbled with Spanish in High School and Dutch in College.

To me English is by far the easiest of all I tried (Russian, German, French and Latin are the others I studied at various points).

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2015, 03:14:18 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2015, 03:12:41 AM

Yup. And despite the similarities, I stopped learning German - it was just too difficult (admittedly I got into it when I was over 30). That being said, I am thinking of going back to French - I used to learn French when I was in high school and it is a beautiful language.

I have tried twice to learn German. I don't think it was "hard", rather laborious; it was easy to understand and learn the Grammar, but learning the words/declensions/genders made it such a chore. In English, I only needed to learn what "chair" meant and I could use the word straight away in my conversations. In German, I have to learn half a dozen terminations for "Stuhl" plus its gender (Der).

Martinus

Yeah. English is very logical. You can almost see why the world's greatest scientific and computer achievements of the last century were developed by people who speak English.

Richard Hakluyt

Old English was, apparently, a rather difficult language similar to German, from Wikipedia "...it was fully inflected with five grammatical cases (nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, and instrumental), three grammatical numbers (singular, plural, and dual) and three grammatical genders (masculine, feminine, and neuter)".

Somehow all that was dropped and by Chaucer's time (flourished 1370-1400) the English used is comprehensible (if tricky) to modern speakers. For some 300 years French was used by the elite and that coincides with the simplification of the language, but was it a cause?