Asking for me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Zanza

Jacob

The context can change things, of course. Systemically, we'd be better off if nepotism is not a strong force in society. And you'll have to act to maintain your self-respect and integrity.

But yeah, play every card you can.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Do you believe you will do a good job? If yes, there isn't much of an issue.

CountDeMoney

Depends if it's me or not. 

If me, yes.  If not me, vote amended accordingly.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

The problem, of course, is WTF do you mean when you say "nepotism"?

- You can't get a high level government job unless you're related to a senior member of the Party?

- Your uncle puts in a good word with his friend who owns a fast food joint, so you get hired on for a minimum wage summer job.

- Your cousin tells you that the site he works on is hiring, and he'll tell the supervisor that you're a hard worker if you're interested?

- Your dad is filthy rich and sits on a number of boards; he tells his rich friend who owns Activision that you'd like a job so of course you get some junior producer role and your boss kind of sucks up to you because that's the kind of guy he is?

- A relative works in the same company and is higher up in the hierarchy, and he covers up for all your mistakes and passes the blame for you essentially allowing you to collect a paycheque for not working?

... for me, I think it boils down to "it's generally okay to use family connections to get an opportunity, but you should then prove yourself equal to it," as long as the practice does not put significant barriers in the way across the whole profession. It's not okay to continually benefit from connections and not work at your responsibilities.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

No, of course not.  You will never have any cred with fellow-employees, and so never any real authority or respect.  Best to get a job, even at a lower level, that allows you to hold up your head and at least have a chance to earn some respect from co-workers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Depends on the circumstances.  It is kind of silly really.  If your family member gets you a job it is nepotism.  If your friend gets you a job it is "networking".

Seems like the same thing to me.  Either way the person hiring you is putting their ass on the line that you will do a good job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2015, 06:54:26 PM
No, of course not.  You will never have any cred with fellow-employees, and so never any real authority or respect.  Best to get a job, even at a lower level, that allows you to hold up your head and at least have a chance to earn some respect from co-workers.

What if there are no fellow employees?

Valmy

Yeah what if you are their one accountant or lawyer or whatever in their small business?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."