News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Viet Nam War myths debunked

Started by Siege, March 10, 2015, 01:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Sorry, it does not let cut and paste the article.
This is from the "The University News" from the University of Dallas, Texas.
The article is from October 2005.
Page 1:  http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth201416/m1/8/
Page 2:  http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth201416/m1/9/

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Before I read this, is it the from the same people that think New York Jewish people are oppressed?

Valmy

Wait the myth is that Vietnam vets were bums?  Huh.  I thought starting with the Gulf War in 1990 we had been all about honoring them as heroes.

Ah I see the article is in reference to something that happened in the 1980s.  Well I never learned any of these myths.  I have seen loads of local Vietnam memorials.

Lots of important facts about the war are completely left out of the article, mainly misleading statements about the Vietnamese side.  Um not a Civil War?  This guy is aware thousands of Viet Minh from the South were sent North as part of the treaty that partitioned the country right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2015, 01:46:15 PM
Before I read this, is it the from the same people that think New York Jewish people are oppressed?

It is challenging myths from 30 years ago.  And shopping a bunch of bizarre inaccuracies about the Vietnamese.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quotehe realized the media's influence and false coverage had altered the memory of Vietnam for the worse.

:lol:  "False coverage"...it was the most openly reported and uncensored conflict in US history, with levels of journalistic access never seen before or since;  there was nothing "false" about it.  Sorry if war sucks and impacts public opinion, asshole.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Siege on March 10, 2015, 01:41:08 PM
Sorry, it does not let cut and paste the article.
This is from the "The University News" from the University of Dallas, Texas.
The article is from October 2005.

It's the University of Dallas in Irving, TX.  An OK university, but not a paragon of academic achievement.

mongers

So in retrospect, how early on in the conflict did America win the war?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2015, 02:38:14 PM
So in retrospect, how early on in the conflict did America win the war?

The day Dat Nguyen was born.

The Minsky Moment

Helpful article, I learned that philosophy education at University of Dallas is in need of some improvement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

That's it.
I am not sharing with you guys any more important/valuable articles.

Stay a low information voter for evah.

And when we lose our constitutional rights, becoming a 3rd wold country ran by populist oligarchs, then don't fuckin come crying to me, because I ain't gonna funckin do shit. You wanna be fukcin slaves of the democrat elites? so be it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on March 10, 2015, 03:06:10 PM
And when we lose our constitutional rights, becoming a 3rd wold country ran by populist oligarchs, then don't fuckin come crying to me, because I ain't gonna funckin do shit. You wanna be fukcin slaves of the democrat elites? so be it.

This acts like the other countries' elites/populist oligarchs are going to be better.

Eddie Teach

don't fuckin come crying to me, because I ain't gonna funckin do shit.

That makes you part of the problem, just like us.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

That's it.

So . . . you don't want to talk about Book VII of the Republic??

:(
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

That's it.

Stay a low information voter for evah.

:w00t:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Does it mention that people spitting on returning Vietnam vets is a myth?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017