When the rats are away, Galapagos tortoises can play

Started by jimmy olsen, March 09, 2015, 06:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Yay! :w00t:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/animal-magic/2015/jan/16/rat-eradication-galapagos-tortoise-pinzon

When the rats are away, Galapagos tortoises can play

Conservationists report the exciting recovery of the Pinzón tortoise in the Galapagos

Henry Nicholls

Friday 16 January 2015 13.56 GMT Last modified on Sunday 18 January 2015 18.33 GMT

In 2012, a helicopter could be seen zipping back and forth over Pinzón, one of the world famous Galapagos islands. Its mission: to cover the 18-km2 volcano with poisoned rat bait, thereby eradicating its population of invasive rodents for good.

Now, just two years later, the benefits of this initiative are starting to be seen. "We found 10 tiny, newly hatched saddleback tortoises on the island early last month," report conservationists in correspondence to Nature this week.

Owing to rat predation, it's thought that no tortoises have hatched out on Pinzón in 150 years or more. But baby giant tortoises are notoriously difficult to spot, often concealed beneath loose lumps of lava so there were probably very many more. "I suspect there were 100 to 300," says James Gibbs, who has written a lovely piece for the Galapagos Conservancy blog about his recent survey of Pinzón.

By the end of our trip, the team had encountered over 300 tortoises, resulting in an overall population estimate well over 500, a near tripling of the population from the 100-200 very old individuals encountered on Pinzón when the Galapagos National Park was established in 1959.

"They are breeding again in situ," he says.

Gibbs and others on the survey looked very hard for signs of live rats, but found none. "As a biologist I have had a time comprehending that every rat was killed," he says. "But they seem to have done it."

The challenge now, in an archipelago with 30,000 residents and 200,000 visitors every year, will be to prevent rats from finding their way back to Pinzón.

For more details of the rat eradication initiative (codenamed Project Pinzón), take a look at this feature I wrote for Nature back in 2013. I also covered Project Pinzón in my book, The Galápagos: A Natural History (Profile, 2014).

NB [ADDED 18.1.15]: I should really have mentioned the Galapagos National Park in this piece because they were responsible for pushing ahead with Project Pinzón and for carrying out all the subsequent surveys on the island. This success story is really down to their tireless work over the last 50+ years.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point