News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vivaldi browser

Started by Scipio, March 08, 2015, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

From the guys who brought you Opera. Good stuf, still in beta.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Somewhat related:  I drove past Firefox's office yesterday.  That was kind of neat.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2015, 09:04:40 AM
Somewhat related:  I drove past Firefox's office yesterday.  That was kind of neat.

Did you unintentionally slow down to 5mph?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

Hmm. I still haven't found a browser I am entirely happy about. So I might check this out.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on March 16, 2015, 01:31:59 PM
Hmm. I still haven't found a browser I am entirely happy about. So I might check this out.

I went to the site using Opera and guess what, it wouldn't allow me to see the website, so I tried IE and guess again.

Seems I'm now in the position that I'll have to instal Firefox or Chrome, just so I can download another web browser.  :hmm:

Norgy

Not exactly the stamp of approval I was hoping for.  :D

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on March 16, 2015, 04:34:38 PM
Not exactly the stamp of approval I was hoping for.  :D

No I actively want to try this, especially once they integrate the Notes and email client I've always used with older versions of Opera, but I'm not willing to download it from anywhere other than the official site.   :(

DontSayBanana

Notes doesn't really do anything that Evernote doesn't already do for every other browser, but tab grouping is always helpful.
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2015, 07:59:34 AM
Notes doesn't really do anything that Evernote doesn't already do for every other browser, but tab grouping is always helpful.

But I've been using if for years with Opera and like the way it works.

Plus I don't want my confidential notes in a Cloud.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2015, 08:09:27 AM

Security's kind of a red herring- there are so many ways to get at a browser's resource files remotely that if I want a really secure note, I write it on paper and shred it to get rid of it instead of typing and deleting.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Scipio on March 08, 2015, 08:43:57 AM
From the guys who brought you Opera. Good stuf, still in beta.
I understand the love for Chrome, for people who love minimalistic browsers, lightweight, non customizable interface.
I understand people using IE, like Mono, afraid that he'll break his computer by installing something non Microsoft on it.
I myself use Firefox because of it's huge extension base, the ability to customize it the way I want and the various themse (Noia is my fav).

But Opera and others, I never quite understood the appeal.  What is it that interest you guys in these alternate browsers that you don't find elsewhere?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

frunk

I've long loved Opera, but the past few versions have sucked.  This is welcome news.

frunk

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2015, 01:37:49 PM
But Opera and others, I never quite understood the appeal.  What is it that interest you guys in these alternate browsers that you don't find elsewhere?

Many standard features in browsers were innovated by Opera or other small browsers before they made it to the big ones.  Tabs, gestures, image control showed up in Opera first.  It's lost its way recently and simultaneously become bloated without many useful features, but Vivaldi looks promising.

mongers

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 18, 2015, 11:15:29 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2015, 08:09:27 AM

Security's kind of a red herring- there are so many ways to get at a browser's resource files remotely that if I want a really secure note, I write it on paper and shred it to get rid of it instead of typing and deleting.

Evernote says security has been breached by hackers

Online information storage firm Evernote has asked all users to reset their passwords, following a security breach by hackers.

The California-based company, that allows people to store and organise personal data on an external server, is thought to have about 50 million users.

It said user names, email addresses and encrypted passwords were accessed.

But it insisted there was "no evidence" that payment details or stored content was accessed, changed or lost.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21644317