8 (34.8%)
No
11 (47.8%)
I hide under the blankets from Swordfish biplanes
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2015, 09:48:03 PM
After all, if the USN made a successor to the F-14, what would it do?  It's not like the terrorists have Backfires to splash.

Backfires are still out there, though.   As are big fucking ASMs.  The mission of the fleet interceptor hasn't changed:  as long as there's a fleet, there will be a need for fleet interceptors.

MadBurgerMaker

Do the Chinese have anything like a Tu-22M, or even the Tu-160?  Seems like that would be right up their alley.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 07, 2015, 11:05:48 PM
Do the Chinese have anything like a Tu-22M, or even the Tu-160?  Seems like that would be right up their alley.

They're still running around with the Tu-16 ripoff they've always had, merely adding cruise missile variants. 

Thing is, even with the alleged "carrier killer" missiles, they're still big enough to necessitate a supersonic fleet interceptor.  The point is to intercept the threat from as far from the carrier as possible.

Speaking of Chinese jet pilots (lulz), here's a nifty article--
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/five-planes-of-the-chinese-air-force-you-really-ought-to-know-about-a0b27549c4bb

MadBurgerMaker

Only eight tankers?  Huh.

e: 
QuoteThing is, even with the alleged "carrier killer" missiles, they're still big enough to necessitate a supersonic fleet interceptor.  The point is to intercept the threat from as far from the carrier as possible.

Yeah.  I think I've seen somewhere that the new long range AMRAAM is delayed or some such too.

Oh here we go.  Wiki has something about it being fielded in 2014, but not being with every Pacific squadron until 2020-2022.  Welp.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2015, 10:54:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2015, 09:48:03 PM
After all, if the USN made a successor to the F-14, what would it do?  It's not like the terrorists have Backfires to splash.
Backfires are still out there, though.   As are big fucking ASMs.  The mission of the fleet interceptor hasn't changed:  as long as there's a fleet, there will be a need for fleet interceptors.
Yeah, but at this point the F-14 has been superseded by AEGIS ships with SM-3 and SM-6 missiles.  If you really need air-to-air interceptors, there's always shitty Hornets, not to mention ground-based aircraft from Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2015, 11:21:58 PM
Yeah, but at this point the F-14 has been superseded by AEGIS ships with SM-3 and SM-6 missiles.  If you really need air-to-air interceptors, there's always shitty Hornets, not to mention ground-based aircraft from Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Missiles don't always make for good dogfighters, as they can be Wild Weasel'd.  An F-14 can still engage the enemy if necessary farther away than the AEGIS umbrella.  Shitty Hornets have shitty range, which is why they made not-as-shitty SuperHornets.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2015, 11:37:08 PM
Missiles don't always make for good dogfighters, as they can be Wild Weasel'd.  An F-14 can still engage the enemy if necessary farther away than the AEGIS umbrella.  Shitty Hornets have shitty range, which is why they made not-as-shitty SuperHornets.

Here's something stupid: The USMC declined the upgrade from regular Hornet to Super Hornet because reasons (something along the lines of making sure they get the F-35B or whatever), and they contribute airplanes to carrier groups, so there's going to be a chunk of old Hornets still flying from carriers until they get the F-35Cs the Navy is making them replace them with.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2015, 11:37:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2015, 11:21:58 PM

Modern missiles have internal guidance, and if destroying the base radar sets with anti-radiation missiles isn't really an option.  And the F-14 wasn't a great dogfighter either.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 08, 2015, 12:11:39 AM
Modern missiles have internal guidance, and if destroying the base radar sets with anti-radiation missiles isn't really an option.  And the F-14 wasn't a great dogfighter either.

:mellow:

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2015, 12:12:55 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 08, 2015, 12:11:39 AM

:mellow:

:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyjNInIH4Hw

Syt

Does the development of hypersonic weapons have any impact on the carrier debate? Or is that only relevant to naval missile platforms?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2015, 10:18:22 AM
Quote from: katmai on March 07, 2015, 02:08:04 AM
Shut your dirty whore mouth Seedy and ElevenB!

Fuck you, Nanook of the North.  I want more carriers.

You also want more voicemail. Unfortunately for you, the times they are a-changing.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Go fuck yourself and your multiple accounts, you filthy fucking sociopath.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

You must be fukcin drunk.
Airsift carriers are the still the best way to project power across the globe.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"