Microsoft Office Backup DVD

Started by alfred russel, March 06, 2015, 05:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I'm downloading Microsoft Office Professional.

I'm getting the option to get a backup DVD for $14 more. Is there any reason in the world to get a backup DVD?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 06, 2015, 05:43:57 PM
Lack of a internet connection?

But once I download it, it is on my machine, right?

It only helps if I never have an internet connection?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on March 06, 2015, 06:08:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 06, 2015, 05:43:57 PM
Lack of a internet connection?

But once I download it, it is on my machine, right?

It only helps if I never have an internet connection?
No need to pay 14$ for that.
Just backup the file your download, and put the serial number with it.  Make it 2 backups with the serial#.  I lost all my backuped softwares recently.  Not funny.   <_<
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2015, 01:57:23 AM

No need to pay 14$ for that.
Just backup the file your download, and put the serial number with it.  Make it 2 backups with the serial#.  I lost all my backuped softwares recently.  Not funny.   <_<

Thanks Viper.

But what do i need a backup for? If my computer fries, a backup of a program on it won't do me any good (since the program is limited to installation on 1 machine).

Liep

Doesn't Office has this 365 internet thing now? Downloadable software is so 2010.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on March 07, 2015, 09:55:09 AM
But what do i need a backup for? If my computer fries, a backup of a program on it won't do me any good (since the program is limited to installation on 1 machine).
OEM licenses are tied to the machine.  Regular licenses are tied to the user (for MS Office, 2 installations, so long as you don't use them concurrently, IIRC).
In any case, they don't really care about that, worst case scenario, you call MS hotline, talk to a computer, say you have MS office installed on one computer only, they give you a reset code, just like Windows, and you can reinstall your software.

The use of a backup is for anything that could go wrong, if you ever need to reinstall it:
- virus, accidental file deletion, messed up Windows installation, forgot to install one software you though you wouldn't need, upgrade computer, change hard drive, etc, etc.
Basically, it covers your needs for reinstallation.  You always have the origianal installation file on your computer, but if you lose it, you have to rebuy MS Office at full price.  That 14$ backup disc is a one time option only, and the download link won't work after 30 days, if they haven't changed their policies.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2015, 10:49:41 AM
Doesn't Office has this 365 internet thing now? Downloadable software is so 2010.
Office 365 requires a monthly (or yearly) subscription.  And I don't think it has all the capacities of regular Office, but I could be wrong.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2015, 11:50:10 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 07, 2015, 09:55:09 AM
OEM licenses are tied to the machine.  Regular licenses are tied to the user (for MS Office, 2 installations, so long as you don't use them concurrently, IIRC).
In any case, they don't really care about that, worst case scenario, you call MS hotline, talk to a computer, say you have MS office installed on one computer only, they give you a reset code, just like Windows, and you can reinstall your software.

The use of a backup is for anything that could go wrong, if you ever need to reinstall it:
- virus, accidental file deletion, messed up Windows installation, forgot to install one software you though you wouldn't need, upgrade computer, change hard drive, etc, etc.
Basically, it covers your needs for reinstallation.  You always have the origianal installation file on your computer, but if you lose it, you have to rebuy MS Office at full price.  That 14$ backup disc is a one time option only, and the download link won't work after 30 days, if they haven't changed their policies.

Thanks. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2015, 11:51:03 AM
Office 365 requires a monthly (or yearly) subscription.  And I don't think it has all the capacities of regular Office, but I could be wrong.

I'm doing the monthly subscription;  it's got all the same bells and whistles.

Norgy

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2015, 11:51:03 AM

With an SMB licence you do. Plus the OneDrive storage. I've found it very practical for myself professionally.
I am more wont to lose a DVD than the license key, so no way I am paying for a DVD.

viper37

I see.  It's 12$/month/user to get Access, that's 288$ a year in my case, much more than I paid for 2 licenses of MS Office 2010.