News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The weaker sex

Started by Martinus, March 05, 2015, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2015, 10:52:51 AM
My sister was held back.  There was no stigma, nobody even knew.  Why would they?  Why would anybody know or care if my kid enters Kindergarten a little later?  We are not talking about repeating grades here.

And we're not talking about your sister or kid, either.  Talking about the guy that was already shaving in 7th grade.  Don't think anybody cares in this day and age about waiting out a year for Kindergarten.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2015, 11:05:17 AM
Fuck, I have to pay 420/mo for KINDERGARDEN. YOU FUCKS GET ENOUGH IN PROPERTY TAXES

For a public school?  How the hell does that happen?  I paid just a little more than that for Tommy's Kindergarten, but it was at a private school.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2015, 11:07:59 AM
Sounded like he needed to get one of your group alone and beat the shit out of 'em. That is how I rolled.

Actually, if anyone in the group needed to be put in his place it was him.  On a couple occasions I had to straighten him out & go upside his head.  But we usually got along fine.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2015, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2015, 11:05:17 AM
Fuck, I have to pay 420/mo for KINDERGARDEN. YOU FUCKS GET ENOUGH IN PROPERTY TAXES

For a public school?  How the hell does that happen?  I paid just a little more than that for Tommy's Kindergarten, but it was at a private school.

QuoteKindergarten Programs
We have 2 optional Kindergarten Programs. Please see our building secretary for the Kindergarten Parent Handbook for further explanations
of the programs.
#1. All Day students attend 5 days a week. There is a monthly tuition $420.00.   Please call our office if you are interested.
#2. Every Other Day students attend all day on a daily rotation. GOLD attends Mondays, Thursdays, & assigned Wednesdays. PURPLE attends Tuesdays, Fridays, & assigned Wednesdays.

Screw that rotation crap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

What kind of horrible crap is that?  Ohio is un-American.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2015, 11:19:29 AM
What kind of horrible crap is that?  Ohio is un-American.

I didn't read the parent handbook.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 06, 2015, 10:03:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2015, 09:50:11 AM
Question grumbler: you claim that boys are 6 months behind girls developmentally.  Would it be a good idea to start a boy a year later then?  Not a theoretical question here, I have two boys.
If you can, you probably should.  As RH notes, boys who are born later in the year and aren't held back until they are 5 1/2 or older tend to do poorly compared to peers.  By far the best time to hold them back is before they start.

It is a decision I wish my parents had made.  I was born in late December and my parents were given the choice of keeping me back the year.  They opted to keep me in the cohort of the year of my birth.  Although I did ok in sports that extra year would have made a big difference - for me it was almost literally a full year.  I also struggled a lot in school up until university, partly because I spent too much time in the gym but also because I was always a step behind the maturity of my peers (which partially explained why I spent so much time in the gym).

garbon

My parents kept me with my cohorts and I can't think of any negatives that came as a result. Well maybe how I had the head of the NEA as my commencement speaker instead of Oprah. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Our district doesn't even offer all-day Kindergarten.  You do either mornings or afternoons each day.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2015, 11:38:44 AM
Our district doesn't even offer all-day Kindergarten.  You do either mornings or afternoons each day.

Freedom!

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2015, 11:30:37 AM
It is a decision I wish my parents had made.  I was born in late December and my parents were given the choice of keeping me back the year.  They opted to keep me in the cohort of the year of my birth. 

I was born in late August and my parents were given the same choice.  Glad as hell they kept me where I was, because the kids a year behind my age group were all dipshits. 

Maximus

My parents actually put me in a year before I would have been eligible by the official date.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on March 06, 2015, 01:00:14 PM
My parents actually put me in a year before I would have been eligible by the official date.

And they've paid for their mistake...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

My mom held my younger brother back in K. We used to make fun of him for it but now he's an organic chemist. Maybe it was a good idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2015, 11:05:36 AM
We all eventually accepted it, but if he pissed someone off inside our group they were quick to remind him he "flunked Kindergarten".  Now if an outsider gave him shit over it, we'd circle the wagons and defend him.  That's just how we rolled.

There was a period in time (I'm thinking 6th/7th grade) where my own friend group gave me a lot of shit for the opposite reason, since I'd skipped 2nd grade and was a year younger.

In elementary school, I'd always got by with my peers -- had to develop social skills quick, like entertaining the bad kids with my great collection of swear words and obscene phrases (thanks Dad!). 

I rolled with the punches for a year or two in middle school, and then it was more or less faded, and high school was surprisingly mellow (again, mostly since I could be funny and wasn't too much of a goody-goody).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)