News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The weaker sex

Started by Martinus, March 05, 2015, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 06, 2015, 10:03:26 AM
If you can, you probably should.  As RH notes, boys who are born later in the year and aren't held back until they are 5 1/2 or older tend to do poorly compared to peers.  By far the best time to hold them back is before they start.

Thanks.  I think that is best.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I think society's job is to provide for equality of outcome across all different parameters that make up a person.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on March 06, 2015, 10:05:13 AM
I think society's job is to provide for equality of outcome across all different parameters that make up a person.

All children must be above average!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2015, 09:50:11 AM
Question grumbler: you claim that boys are 6 months behind girls developmentally.  Would it be a good idea to start a boy a year later then?  Not a theoretical question here, I have two boys.

I was sent to school half a year early, and was the youngest in class for 13 years. AND LOOK WHAT A WELL ADJUSTED HUMAN BEING I'VE BECOME
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2015, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2015, 09:50:11 AM
Question grumbler: you claim that boys are 6 months behind girls developmentally.  Would it be a good idea to start a boy a year later then?  Not a theoretical question here, I have two boys.

I was sent to school half a year early, and was the youngest in class for 13 years. AND LOOK WHAT A WELL ADJUSTED HUMAN BEING I'VE BECOME

:ph34r:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2015, 09:54:04 AM
That's been all the rage lately with the hypercompetitive parenting set.  Not for academics, but sports.  My brother-in-law's brother did it with his two boys.

I've heard of that as well.  Seems bizarre to me-- when I was a kid there was a sort of stigma attached to kids that had been held back.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2015, 10:29:20 AM
That's been all the rage lately with the hypercompetitive parenting set.  Not for academics, but sports.  My brother-in-law's brother did it with his two boys.

I've heard of that as well.  Seems bizarre to me-- when I was a kid there was a sort of stigma attached to kids that had been held back.

No joke, right?  When we were growing up, a kid was held back a year, it was because he was either slow or a convict, and you either goofed on him or feared him.  Now he's a redshirt.

Valmy

My sister was held back.  There was no stigma, nobody even knew.  Why would they?  Why would anybody know or care if my kid enters Kindergarten a little later?  We are not talking about repeating grades here.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2015, 10:36:13 AM

No joke, right?  When we were growing up, a kid was held back a year, it was because he was either slow or a convict, and you either goofed on him or feared him.  Now he's a redshirt.

Cardale Jones of the Kindergarden set.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

My kids will enter school as soon as their age permits. I NEED 6 HOURS OF PEACE

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2015, 11:01:37 AM

Yeah, the counterbalance to this plan for me is another year of paying for daycare :weep:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2015, 11:02:55 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2015, 11:01:37 AM

Yeah, the counterbalance to this plan for me is another year of paying for daycare :weep:

Fuck, I have to pay 420/mo for KINDERGARDEN. YOU FUCKS GET ENOUGH IN PROPERTY TAXES

derspiess

One of my close circle of friends in the elementary school years was about a year older than the rest of us and we suspected he was held back at some point.  Then one day one of us found out he had been held back in Kindergarten and it was a huge scandal.  You don't want the stigma of "failing Kindergarten" hanging over your head, whether or not that's exactly what happened.

In his case I think it was something like he wasn't emotionally mature enough to handle Kindergarten (he was rather spoiled and never seemed to keep his shit together if he didn't get his own way) so after a couple weeks his mom pulled him out and put him in the next year.  But as kids we didn't make any distinctions-- held back = flunking an entire grade year in our minds.  Up until that point we regarded him as one of the smarter kids in our group.  He was in TAG and all that.  But once we found out he was a grade year older than us (I think a year and a half in my case) all that seemed to be built on lies.

We all eventually accepted it, but if he pissed someone off inside our group they were quick to remind him he "flunked Kindergarten".  Now if an outsider gave him shit over it, we'd circle the wagons and defend him.  That's just how we rolled.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Sounded like he needed to get one of your group alone and beat the shit out of 'em. That is how I rolled.