It's Bibipalooza! Live, from Congress! One show only!

Started by CountDeMoney, March 03, 2015, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2015, 01:22:42 AM
QuoteAbe will spend eight days on a state visit

What will the Emperor do during the visit?
Reign.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Eh, he ain't going to do shit. Not unless the Saudis are on board with it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iran-nuclear-talks/netanyahu-calls-iran-agreement-threat-israels-survival-n334961

QuoteNetanyahu Calls Iran Nuclear Agreement a Threat to Israel's Survival

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday slammed a preliminary agreement over Iran's nuclear program as one that puts the Jewish state into mortal danger.

"A deal based on this framework would threaten the survival of Israel," Netanyahu warned in a statement after speaking to President Barack Obama by telephone.

"Such a deal would not block Iran's path to the bomb. It would pave it," he said.

Obama on Thursday announced a framework agreement with Iran in which Iran would agree to limits on its programs to enrich uranium and make weapons-grade plutonium — two methods of building a weapon — and agree to inspections in return for a lifting of crippling economic sanctions.

President Barack Obama said any deal under the agreement "would cut off every pathway that Iran could take to develop a nuclear weapon" and that inspections would be thorough. "If Iran cheats, the world will know it," Obama said.

Obama emphasized in the phone conversation with Netanyahu that "progress on the nuclear issue in no way diminishes our concerns with respect to Iran's sponsorship of terrorism and threats towards Israel," and that "the United States remains steadfast in our commitment to the security of Israel," the White House said in a statement.

Netanyahu said in the U.S. and other countries should ratchet up the pressure on Iran until a better deal is reached.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

The Saudis are almost certainly on board. But it's still difficult for Bibi.

For June to negotiate the full deal is a very narrow timeframe for an Israeli strike and Obama, as he announced the preliminary deal, invited the GCC to the White House for security talks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2015, 01:22:42 AM
QuoteAbe will spend eight days on a state visit

What will the Emperor do during the visit?

Sit around naked and see if anyone notices.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

"Limits on weapons grade plutonium?"  As in they get some?  :blink:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2015, 07:41:22 PM

For June to negotiate the full deal is a very narrow timeframe for an Israeli strike and Obama, as he announced the preliminary deal, invited the GCC to the White House for security talks.
Well, if they're really on board with it, then maybe there will be strike. However, there's beem so many claims over the last 5-10 years that this is the year Israel will strike, that I'm skeptical it will actually happen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2015, 08:03:59 PM
"Limits on weapons grade plutonium?"  As in they get some?  :blink:

The proposed limit is zero so no.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2015, 02:31:30 PM
While the other team says Obama is completely owned by Zionists and an enemy to all Muslims. Being an American is fun.

This means you are doing something right.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Well, if they're really on board with it, then maybe there will be strike. However, there's beem so many claims over the last 5-10 years that this is the year Israel will strike, that I'm skeptical it will actually happen.

Let's hope it will be another success story, like Iraq.

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Things in the Mid East are so quiet now so an Israeli strike on Iran will break the peace and tranquility of the region.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2015, 01:46:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2015, 02:31:30 PM
While the other team says Obama is completely owned by Zionists and an enemy to all Muslims. Being an American is fun.

This means you are doing something right.

Not necessarily.  Plenty of leaders have pissed off both sides and done so in utter failure.  Not that I would ever say that about Obama :goodboy:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2015, 10:29:49 AM
Not necessarily.  Plenty of leaders have pissed off both sides and done so in utter failure.  Not that I would ever say that about Obama :goodboy:

G.H.W. Bush wasn't an utter failure.  He was a perfectly ordinary failure.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The problem the Bibi Who Cried Wolf has is that he cannot step up his game now that there is a treaty framework to criticize; he went before Congress and told the cheering morons that he would characterize any agreement framework, no matter the terms, as "paving the way to an Iranian bomb."  He was shrieking so loudly before there was anything to shriek about that his shrieking is now just background noise.  His fifteen minutes was up weeks ago.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Not sure that's solid enough to call it the "Obama doctrine", nor am I completely sold on the idea that Iran understands they can't fight us. It's not that I think they believe they can take us in a full blown conventional war, but I'm not so sure they understand where the line lies regarding unconventional actions that would incite such a conflict.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iran-nuclear-talks/obama-iran-nuclear-deal-they-cannot-fight-us-n336161

QuoteBy Hasani Gittens

President Barack Obama believes the controversial Iran nuclear deal has a shot at working for the simple fact that America is bigger and more powerful than Iran and can fall back on other options if it doesn't work.

In an interview with the New York Times' Thomas Friedman — conducted Saturday and published Sunday — the president defends what the columnist called an "Obama doctrine" with respect to warming relations with Iran, as well as Cuba and Myanmar.

"We are powerful enough to be able to test these propositions without putting ourselves at risk. And that's the thing ... people don't seem to understand," Obama said. "You take a country like Cuba. For us to test the possibility that engagement leads to a better outcome for the Cuban people, there aren't that many risks for us. It's a tiny little country. It's not one that threatens our core security interests, and so [there's no reason not] to test the proposition. And if it turns out that it doesn't lead to better outcomes, we can adjust our policies."

He added: "The same is true with respect to Iran, a larger country, a dangerous country, one that has engaged in activities that resulted in the death of U.S. citizens, but the truth of the matter is: Iran's defense budget is $30 billion. Our defense budget is closer to $600 billion. Iran understands that they cannot fight us."

He said he felt it was worth the attempt to see whether Iran would slow its march toward a nuclear weapon.

Critics have said the deal gives Iran too much for too little in return. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday called it "a dream deal for Iran, and it's a nightmare deal for the world."
/quote]

1 Karma Chameleon point