It's Bibipalooza! Live, from Congress! One show only!

Started by CountDeMoney, March 03, 2015, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 01:28:16 PM
Obstructing proposed legislation, including a treaty ratification, through the usual means available to Congress -- is one thing.

Congressional freelance diplomacy - sending a demarche directly to a foreign power - is another; looks to me like a pretty big breach of separation of powers.

I can't personally recall another incident quite like this one.

The Washington Post has an op ed saying otherwise:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-letter-to-iran-is-far-from-unprecedented/2015/03/11/6e247750-c80b-11e4-a199-6cb5e63819d2_story.html
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2015, 04:40:57 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-letter-to-iran-is-far-from-unprecedented/2015/03/11/6e247750-c80b-11e4-a199-6cb5e63819d2_story.html

:lol:
I think the op ed proves the point as the examples it gives all involve a single Senator, the certifiable loon Jessie Helms, doing his certifiably loony stuff. 

I also have little doubt that one could find other examples of individual senators misbehaving.

But that is nowhere near into the same neighborhood as 47 senators sending what purports to be an official diplomatic communication to a foreign government.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

BTW props to the guy who wrote the WaPost op ed; it takes real courage and rare honesty to admit having once worked as an aide to Jesse Helms.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 04:46:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2015, 04:40:57 PM

:lol:
I think the op ed proves the point as the examples it gives all involve a single Senator, the certifiable loon Jessie Helms, doing his certifiably loony stuff. 

I also have little doubt that one could find other examples of individual senators misbehaving.

But that is nowhere near into the same neighborhood as 47 senators sending what purports to be an official diplomatic communication to a foreign government.

I think he was the chair of the senate foreign relations committee. I presume his private diplomacic relations with most african nations were a bit strained.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Yeah, gotta give the guy kudos for sticking up for his boss, and offering the argument that Jesse Helms = 47 GOP assholes.

Admiral Yi

Joan: would you have the same objections if those 47 senators had submitted the same letter to the NYT, with the expectation that it would be read in Teheran?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2015, 04:52:16 PM
Yeah, gotta give the guy kudos for sticking up for his boss, and offering the argument that Jesse Helms = 47 GOP assholes.

Not to mention that objectively speaking, the argument that "it's Ok because Jesse Helms did it" is NOT all that persuasive.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2015, 04:53:21 PM
Joan: would you have the same objections if those 47 senators had submitted the same letter to the NYT, with the expectation that it would be read in Teheran?

I.e. a letter to the NYT containing the same substance but not addressed directly to the foreign regime?
As a matter of policy I would disagree.  And if the real goal was to influence Tehran and not so much to persuade domestic opinion then I would say not cricket.

But it wouldn't raise the same separation of powers concerns.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

How much is the Senate involved in the Iran deal anyway? Aren't Senate leaders usually quasi-part of the formulation of treaties since they have to ratify them in the end anyway? I don't know for sure how it works but it seems like the State dept. would be keeping them in the loop at least.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Also, isn't the Senate going to turn down any deal with Iran? Or are there amenable Republican senators (plus the entire Democrat bloc)?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2015, 05:04:57 PM
Also, isn't the Senate going to turn down any deal with Iran? Or are there amenable Republican senators (plus the entire Democrat bloc)?

7 senators did not sign including the Chair of the Foreign Relations committee
Read into that what you will.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Did Charlie Wilson's actions create separation of powers issues?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2015, 05:04:57 PM

7 senators did not sign including the Chair of the Foreign Relations committee
Read into that what you will.

McConnell did though. Can he keep it from coming to the floor?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2015, 05:27:13 PM

47 is more than enough for a filibuster.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2015, 05:29:24 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2015, 05:27:13 PM

47 is more than enough for a filibuster.
Did Charlie Wilson's actions create separation of powers issues?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!