It's Bibipalooza! Live, from Congress! One show only!

Started by CountDeMoney, March 03, 2015, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

I don't understand the strategery behind this.

He has to know there is zero chance of changing Obama's mind and getting him to attack Iran. As his elegant UN graph that Martinus posted upthread clearly shows, there isn't time to wait for a new US president.

So at the cost of ruining whatever relationship there was with the president (admittedly probably not much of one), he enters the following potential futures:

1) The future reveals that he oversold the Iranian threat and he looks like a dumbass.
2) He is incinerated along with his country in a nuclear Holocaust.

I think the only winning strategy is not to play.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

It seems he has the short term goal of the next election.  The Republicans have no discernible goal other than continuing to act like Republicans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2015, 08:10:35 PM
1) The future reveals that he oversold the Iranian threat and he looks like a dumbass.

1) I don't know how one would go about determining Iran will never, ever acquire a nuclear weapon.

2) It's very conceivable Iran could develop the bomb but hold on to it as a deterrent.  That's what most members of the nuclear club have done.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2015, 08:15:57 PM

1) I don't know how one would go about determining Iran will never, ever acquire a nuclear weapon.

2) It's very conceivable Iran could develop the bomb but hold on to it as a deterrent.  That's what most members of the nuclear club have done.

He is selling Iran being particularly horrible. If they act like the other nuclear powers, he has rather oversold the threat, hasn't he?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2015, 08:22:30 PM

He is selling Iran being particularly horrible. If they act like the other nuclear powers, he has rather oversold the threat, hasn't he?

Everyone needs an ultimate evil to sustain their political momentum, pity for America that the Republicans choose Obama above all others.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

He's selling that part about as much as Barry is.

CountDeMoney

I don't think he's oversold the threat, because I don't believe Iran will act like the other nuclear powers; It's just not the time to turn it up to 11 just yet.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 03, 2015, 07:57:49 PM
If I were Hansmeister, I might suggest inviting a foreign leader to come to this country with the express aim of undermining the government's foreign policy smacks of treason.

Luckily I am not Hansmeister and thus personally would not make that suggestion.

I seriously doubt Hans would say this specific act was treason.  Now if something like this had happened back in 2004...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

How awesome would it have been if Nancy Pelosi had invited Dominique de Villepin to address congress back in the day?

Monoriu

I find it really odd for a sitting head of government to visit another country, and deliver a formal address at the host country's legislature that slams the government of the host country.  Especially that the host country is his greatest benefactor. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 03, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
I find it really odd for a sitting head of government to visit another country, and deliver a formal address at the host country's legislature that slams the government of the host country.  Especially that the host country is his greatest benefactor. 

Welcome to the weirdness of US-Israel relations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2015, 11:44:06 PM

Where's the <LIKE> button? This place really needs a <LIKE> button....
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2015, 11:44:06 PM

Yeah, but this is new weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017