In a Physics First, Light is Captured as Both Particle and Wave

Started by jimmy olsen, March 02, 2015, 10:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Neat! :nerd:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/physics-first-light-captured-both-particle-wave-n315936

QuoteIn a Physics First, Light is Captured as Both Particle and Wave

Physicists have theorized for over a century that light acts as both a particle and a wave, depending on the conditions, but they've never been able to capture it being both at once — until a team in Switzerland did just that in a recent experiment. Scientists at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne managed to take a snapshot of light in all its elusive wave-particle duality, a form first proposed by Einstein in 1905.

It was no easy task: You need light in order to take pictures of things, but how do you take a picture of light itself? The EPFL team, led by Fabrizio Carbone, started by exposing a tiny metallic nanowire to a pulse of laser light. The light travels up and down this wire and interferes with itself, forming stationary "standing waves" and illustrating that portion of light's dual nature.

At the same time, though, those waves are made of innumerable photons. This was shown by barraging the standing waves with electrons — some of which would speed up, and some slow down, depending on how they strike photons in the stream. The simple fact that these "quanta" of exchanged energy exist proves that there are particles there, not just a simple waveform of radiation (like a magnetic field).

The result is the image above, which shows light exhibiting wavelike and particle-like properties at the same time. This research, published in the journal Nature Communications, significantly advances our understanding of how light works on the smallest detectable scales, and may be highly valuable in the field of quantum computing.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

That is very cool.

Its too bad DGuller didn't just tell everyone he assumed this to be the case and save us all the trouble over the years.

Valmy

DGuller was called mad for his theories but he showed them...SHOWED THEM ALL.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on March 03, 2015, 01:24:54 PM
Singularity alert!
I met your boy Ray Kurzweil once.  He's not as nerdy as one might expect. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on March 03, 2015, 01:28:07 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 03, 2015, 01:24:54 PM
Singularity alert!
I met your boy Ray Kurzweil once.  He's not as nerdy as one might expect. :hmm:

Back before his Google days?
Yeah, he was kind of cool.
These days you need to be a fucking CEO of a Fortune 500 to talk with him.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

This was circa 2001-2002.  He came to Harvard to do a talk.  I actually don't think it was about the singularity, at least not directly.  I wish I could remember the topic. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2015, 12:10:33 PM
Its too bad DGuller didn't just tell everyone he assumed this to be the case and save us all the trouble over the years.
I thought it was too obvious to mention.  :Embarrass:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 03, 2015, 02:07:42 PM
This was circa 2001-2002.  He came to Harvard to do a talk.  I actually don't think it was about the singularity, at least not directly.  I wish I could remember the topic. :hmm:

The new municipal mass transit schedule.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!