Return of Soviet-style anekdoty in Venezuela

Started by Queequeg, March 02, 2015, 12:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2015, 04:46:39 PM
That could have been it.  The title song Prince did for that movie was pretty terrifying.

HEY NOW That was an awesome album, and one of the best concept albums of all time.   :mad:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2015, 04:49:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2015, 04:46:39 PM
That could have been it.  The title song Prince did for that movie was pretty terrifying.

HEY NOW That was an awesome album, and one of the best concept albums of all time.   :mad:

Oh yeah my friends also thought so.  They were also dead wrong.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I liked that "Party Man" song that was in the movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2015, 01:25:48 PM
Nice article. I have not been keeping up with what's going on in Venezuela. The last line got me thinking.

QuoteIt has long been an exasperated mantra among critics of the revolutionary regime that Venezuelans should stop laughing at their misfortunes and actually do something about them. From jokes to polls, there are signs that this motion is taking place.

Why do oppressed people tells jokes instead of acting for the betterment of their nation?

I have read a lot about the soviet jokes, and this question always nagged at me. My conclusion, after meeting many ex-soviet jews, is that communist regimes are very good at destrying civic values and the social contract by creating the myth that most people work for the internal security apparatus, spying on their fellow citizens. Basicly it seems that when people fear their neighbors are informants, they loose that sense of community and nationhood that make people sacrify their lives for their country.

Yes, this is pretty much it. All the ex-Soviet people (including in countries like Poland or Hungary) are extremely selfish and mistrustful of each other. That's why we have one of the most neoliberal economies and people like Tamas still bitch about a "welfare state".

Martinus

Why not say "anecdotes" in the thread title? I really hate when people throw in a foreign word (that is perfectly translatable into English) in English language communication so that they can seem more "in the know".

Eddie Teach

Like Caliga saying paczki instead of doughnuts. :yes:  :mad:  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 03, 2015, 01:09:23 AM
Yes, this is pretty much it. All the ex-Soviet people (including in countries like Poland or Hungary) are extremely selfish and mistrustful of each other. That's why we have one of the most neoliberal economies and people like Tamas still bitch about a "welfare state".

Somehow I don't think this is where Siege was going with this :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2015, 03:06:57 AM

It's even worse when some people say "paczkis", as "paczki" is already the plural word (the singular being "paczek"). So "paczkis" is like "childrens".

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 03, 2015, 02:19:21 AM
Why not say "anecdotes" in the thread title? I really hate when people throw in a foreign word (that is perfectly translatable into English) in English language communication so that they can seem more "in the know".

It is what we do in English and why we have such a monstrous vocabulary.  And the reason is because anekdoty is specifically anecdotes of this type. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 03, 2015, 08:35:51 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2015, 03:06:57 AM

It's even worse when some people say "paczkis", as "paczki" is already the plural word (the singular being "paczek"). So "paczkis" is like "childrens".

Yeah well we made it an English word so now it will enjoy its '-s' suffix no matter how nonsensical it would make it in Polish.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 03, 2015, 02:19:21 AM

The story is not about anecdotes.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2015, 08:52:51 AM
The story is not about anecdotes.

Yeah you are right.  This is a reference to jokes not actual anecdotes, as we could consider that term to mean.