News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can you pass an 8th grade exam from 1912?

Started by Syt, March 02, 2015, 02:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Spelling - I should get most of the words right except antecedent, rhinoceros, eneeavor.  I'll write "diagramme" instead of "diagram".

Arithmatic - 1 is ok.  2, I don't understand the question.  Plus 5.14-59.112?  What does that hyphen mean?  Minus? 3. No, don't know the relationship between yard and feet. 4: ok.  5. What does a/c mean? 6 is ok, given time.  7 is ok if I am not required to list the equations that I use.  I don't solve these questions with equations; I do trial and error only.  8: I'll add 30 to 40, but I am quite sure that that is wrong.  9: nope, can't do mile feet conversion.  10: Don't know what cord means.

Grammar: I'll get zero in all of these, except 5. James is struck by William.

Geography: I know the answers to 5 (assuming Servia is Serbia), 7, 8 (partial.  California is largest, followed by Texas?  Alaska isn't formally part of the union in 1912, right?), 9 (only know Andes, Alps and Himalaya), and 10. I'll get zero for all the rest.

Physiology: 1. Liver is the second largest organ, after the lungs.  It is located on the right hand side of the Abdomen under the lungs. It secretes...stuff.  2. [white flag] 3. The heart has four parts and it pumps blood throughout the body 4. Blood is purified in the kidneys.  5. The Brain. 6. [white flag] 7. It connects the brain and the nervous system of the rest of the body and is responsible for reflex action and stuff like breathing. 8. So that we can pass this bullshit exam So that I can get rich by becoming a doctor So that we can maintain good health  :bowler: 9. Eat whatever the hell I want to keep myself in a good mood Sufficient sleep, 8 glasses of water a day, balanced diet, exercise 3 times a week, 30 minutes each session, go see a doctor if something is wrong.

Civil government: 1, should be able to write some crap to get some partial points. 2. Local, state, federal and Borg 3. Sheriff for policing, treasurer to collecting taxes, education officer for, well, education, fire officers for fire, trash collector for collecting trash (I made this up), 4. BS through to get partial points 5. President: sign law and lead executive government, act as commander in Chief. Veto power is the power to veto laws passed by Congress, Congress can overule veto power by 2/3 supermajority 6. tax, make laws, regulate interstate commerce, pass budgets, declare war, repeal laws.  Denied: regulate speech, grab money 7: [write random number instead of white flag.] 8: natural born US citizen, 40 years old for president.  US citizen for vice president and governor 9: BS through to get 1 or 2 sympathy marks 10: ditto

History: 1. I bet that St. Lawrance River is discovered by a dude named St. Lawrence.  2. [sketch of white flag] 3. The English settled all these except Florida which was settled by the Spanish 4. Antietam (civil war).  5. The British won and the French lost 6. The US invaded Canada, and the British burned down the White House. 7. Lincoln was assassinated and he died in office.  8. I know this is wrong but I'll write Battle of Appomattox anyway (commanders: Lee and Grant).  9: Bill Clinton, just for the heck of it.  10: Edison for all. 

Eddie Teach

Fun fact: Grumbler was on the committee that adopted that exam.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

No, I cannot. I can't do math(s) in english.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 02, 2015, 04:17:28 AM

False.  I was, in fact, still in my third year of eighth grade when that exam was adopted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Who discovered the Pacific?  Some Chinese guy who looked out of his window.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 02, 2015, 06:47:49 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 02, 2015, 04:17:28 AM

False.  I was, in fact, still in my third year of eighth grade when that exam was adopted.
:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

I highly doubt that this is indeed an 8th grade exam, this has all the makings of an urban legend.  And even if it is an 8th grade exam, then the only point to be made here is to highlight the uselessness of the rote memorization teaching style.

Admiral Yi

It looks very much like an 8th grade test to me. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2015, 09:56:40 AM
I highly doubt that this is indeed an 8th grade exam, this has all the makings of an urban legend.  And even if it is an 8th grade exam, then the only point to be made here is to highlight the uselessness of the rote memorization teaching style.

Yes, DG....not only is it a forgery, but a poor forgery at that, what with rote memorization as a teaching method so widespread during the Victorian era.

Syt

Which is why they went to the whole trouble of creating a rather elaborate Bullitt County Museum website. :hmm:

http://bullittcountyhistory.org/bullitthistory/contents.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Yeah, I'm sure the county genealogical society is big into forgeries.  This doesn't look out of place in an 8th grade exam.  Some things are different from when I was in school, for instance we didn't learn physiology but were taught cell structure.  Sketching Sir Walter Raleigh is a new one on me though.  There are many questions that aren't rote memorization for instance "what are the causes of the war of 1812" or "why do we study physiology".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I would probably fail most of the US history and US geography questions, bar the easiest ones (I'd too say that the Civil War finished with the Battle of Appomattox, just because). I'd probably fail the grammar question because I forgot most of the grammar theory since my school days. I'm confident I'd pass the other sections.

Would I be wrong if I answered with FDR, Kennedy and Clinton in the president-related questions?  :lol:

Question 7 in Government - did they make pupils memorize the EVs of each state? Wow.