Things from your childhood that no longer exist

Started by Martinus, February 27, 2015, 05:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

There seems to be a genuine shortage of realistic looking toy guns. I had a nice set of (plastic) Colt 45s growing up. And a slightly smaller scale (metal) Colt 44 growing up. I never see those in the toy stores any more :(

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2015, 05:53:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 27, 2015, 05:06:47 PM
Good action movies.
John Wick was good.

Yes, as was The Raid, Raid 2, Kingsman, and some of the comic book movies, although only two or three were good as action films (Iron Man, Thor, X-Men: DofP) rather than superhero dramedies, which sounds about right for movies based on comics, anyway.

My answer is a "prosperous West."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2015, 07:57:04 PM
There seems to be a genuine shortage of realistic looking toy guns. I had a nice set of (plastic) Colt 45s growing up. And a slightly smaller scale (metal) Colt 44 growing up. I never see those in the toy stores any more :(

I don't especially recall many realistic toy guns, though I do recall a child-scale colt, I think made of a light metal. Certainly smaller guns that fired caps were quite popular as were 'spud guns'.

I guess as a modern parent, Jacob, these things are now verboten?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Arcades

Software stores

Fear of being nuked by the Soviets

He Man cartoons

The USFL
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2015, 08:14:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2015, 07:57:04 PM

I don't especially recall many realistic toy guns, though I do recall a child-scale colt, I think made of a light metal. Certainly smaller guns that fired caps were quite popular as were 'spud guns'.

I guess as a modern parent, Jacob, these things are now verboten?

I dunno, but I don't see them in the toy stores like I used to.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 08:46:50 PM
Arcades

Software stores

Fear of being nuked by the Soviets

He Man cartoons

The USFL

Don't worry 'someone' is working on that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

That reminds me: "hope of being rescued by the Soviets."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 27, 2015, 07:37:54 PM
Great Anime Japanese cartoons on the three free channels of analog TV.
The film board of Canada used to have these little short animated features about the quarter, or log riding, or black flies.  They were great.  And Hinterland Who's Who, which was about animals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Lawn darts.

Murphy's.

Rotary dial phones? 

American Motors Corporation.

celedhring

Am I missing something? There's still a bunch of arcades around...

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 28, 2015, 01:59:43 AM
Am I missing something? There's still a bunch of arcades around...
Yeah, lots of things I'm seeing in this thread are either still around or enjoying a resurgence in popularity.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a pinball machine.