The Roadside Diner Revival

Started by CountDeMoney, February 27, 2015, 12:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My fave-rave is

IHOP
5 (13.5%)
Denny's
3 (8.1%)
Whatever the fuck Canadians have, menu's probably all in fucked up metric and shit anyway
4 (10.8%)
Der Waffel SS Haus
2 (5.4%)
Cracker Barrel
2 (5.4%)
Other chains/regional chains
7 (18.9%)
None; I am European, and as such, I am snobbishly turning my nose up at this very moment
11 (29.7%)
Local joints are superior
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

CountDeMoney

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2015, 12:44:34 PM
I'm always concerned about the cleanliness of those places.

That's probably my favourite part of my MIL's place - there's no door to the kitchen, everyone can see how immaculately clean she keeps it.

I don't think any diner in our area is run by WASPs.  The best is run by Greeks (along with many, many others), there are a few Italian/Sicilian owners who cling pretty tightly to their mediterranean backgrounds, but they tend more toward pizza shops around here.  The diner with the most cleanliness problems around here is run by Turks (still an okay place, though- many, many hangovers after late-night drinking have been averted by grabbing a wee-hours breakfast there).
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2015, 12:40:50 PM
Non-chain diners can be very much hit or miss.

The exception I think is diners run by ethnics.  I've never had a bad experience in a diner run by someone with an accent.

The best road side diners I been to are located in smaller rural communities along major highways. 

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 27, 2015, 12:52:10 PM
I don't think any diner in our area is run by WASPs.  The best is run by Greeks (along with many, many others), there are a few Italian/Sicilian owners who cling pretty tightly to their mediterranean backgrounds, but they tend more toward pizza shops around here.  The diner with the most cleanliness problems around here is run by Turks (still an okay place, though- many, many hangovers after late-night drinking have been averted by grabbing a wee-hours breakfast there).
You ever been to the White Dotte Dairy Bar or Vincentown Diner in Vincentown (duh)?  They're both pretty good.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

IHOP out of those choices.

There is a good local place called the Nighthawk I go to from time to time.  It used to be very widespread in this area but there is only one left now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2015, 12:35:31 PM
No love for Perkins?

The first time I ever skipped school, it was to go to Perkins. I was a senior in high school.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

My first time was as a senior too. Not much fun to skip school when there's a parent at home and you don't have any wheels.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Most of the Perkins are gone now that were near me.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

We only ever had one Perkins in Louisville, and it burned down about seven years ago or so after some jackwagon threw a lit cigarette into the mulch out front.

The former location is now an IHOP. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".