The Roadside Diner Revival

Started by CountDeMoney, February 27, 2015, 12:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My fave-rave is

IHOP
5 (13.5%)
Denny's
3 (8.1%)
Whatever the fuck Canadians have, menu's probably all in fucked up metric and shit anyway
4 (10.8%)
Der Waffel SS Haus
2 (5.4%)
Cracker Barrel
2 (5.4%)
Other chains/regional chains
7 (18.9%)
None; I am European, and as such, I am snobbishly turning my nose up at this very moment
11 (29.7%)
Local joints are superior
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

MadBurgerMaker

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2015, 12:05:57 AM
Personally, can't stand Denny's.  Food always seemed more reheated than cooked. 

Der Waffel Haus is a guilty pleasure, but they don't sell scrapple, and that's simply un-Confederacy.  So, IHOP it is.

Der Waffen Hausen is my choice. Ihop being #2
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 27, 2015, 11:02:07 AM
Der Waffen Hausen is my choice. Ihop being #2

I'll have the "Panzers Over Poland", please!

Jacob

Never did enough roadside dining to develop a preference for any particular chain. They're all fine as far as I'm concerned.

Denny's, though, is one of the few 24-hour joints in Vancouver so do good service post-clubbing/ post-show... or they did back when I went clubbing/ went to shows.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Dennys is the only one I've tried. Its alright. Not much choice though, like most such family restaurant places.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

My favorite diner was in Newark, Delaware on main street.  It was in the classic style and was run by some Turkish dudes.  They made some kick-ass late night cheesesteaks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I had never been to a Waffle House until last December.  Food was actually edible, but service was pretty bad.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Why is there no option for a non chain diner?  Those are the best.

Another comment about the European option.  The Italians flock to their Autogrill restaurants just off of the freeway.  We made the mistake of bypassing the Autogrill at the freeway exit and trying to find a nice place to eat some lunch in the small town a short distance a way.  The locals pointed us back to the Autogrill.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2015, 12:29:45 PM
Why is there no option for a non chain diner? 

Because I knew people would post them anyway.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2015, 12:19:18 PM
Dennys is the only one I've tried. Its alright. Not much choice though, like most such family restaurant places.

:blink: Their menu is like 12 pages long.

PRC

The Canadian options is probably Husky.  Pretty good gas station diners where available.

Barrister

No love for Perkins?  :mad: It was our staple for going out for food after the bars closed at 2am location...

If I'm listing a favourite, I believe I am obliged to answer that it is my mother-in-law's restaurant.  They opened up their restaurant in their tiny town of 100 people - it's one of two businesses in town (the other is the local hotel).  It serves simple, diner-type food, like your standard breakfast menu, burgers, and a few different entrees (it's where I get my annual liver and onions fix).  It really is a one-woman show so she doesn't scratch make everything (she buys her bread and buns, fries and fried chicken are frozen), but it's simple food well made.  Even with their fairly erratic hours (there's no other cook, so if my mother in law needs to take a day off they simply hang a Closed sign up front) they still have a small but loyal client base.

Plus, because I'm family, I don't get charged and I can order off the menu if I want. :)

There's a bit of a trend for hipster diners at least in Edmonton, and I think in other locations, which I sort-of like, but still find a bit pretentious.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2015, 12:32:11 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2015, 12:19:18 PM

:blink: Their menu is like 12 pages long.
Not in Japan.
██████
██████
██████