The State Auditor of Missouri just shot himself.

Started by Razgovory, February 26, 2015, 07:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

QuoteMissouri Republican dead after apparent suicide 01:07

Washington (CNN)A leading Republican candidate for Missouri's governor's office died in an apparent suicide on Thursday morning.

​Thomas Schweich, the 54-year-old state auditor who'd just won a second term while running unopposed in 2014, was pronounced deceased from a single gunshot wound, possibly self-infliction, according to a Clayton Police Department press release.

Detectives are conducting an investigation and an autopsy is pending, authorities said.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch said Schweich's wife, who was in another room, heard him making phone calls -- and then a gunshot. It happened just hours after Schweich had requested interviews with the Post-Dispatch and The Associated Press at his home.

Missouri Republican Party Chairman John Hancock asked for prayers for Schweich's family.

"I am in utter shock at the news of Tom Schweich's tragic passing. Tom will be remembered as a tenacious, energetic, effective elected official who worked tirelessly on behalf of the citizens of this state and this nation," he said. "I ask all Missourians to join me in praying for Tom's family."

In October, Schweich launched an audit of municipal courts in Ferguson and six other cities, an initiative that had bipartisan support, according to St. Louis Public Radio.

"More and more officials have become concerned about the abuse of the traffic court system for revenue generation purposes rather than for safety, justice and efficiency purposes," Schweich told reporters at the time.

Missouri politicians took to Twitter on Thursday afternoon to say they were shocked by the news.

"Tom Schweich was very smart, very capable, outstanding at his job, and a good friend," Republican Sen. Roy Blunt said.

"I am very sad and hurt so much for Tom Schweich's family. Good man. Dedicated public servant. Hug those you love," Blunt's Democratic counterpart, Sen. Claire McCaskill, tweeted

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/26/politics/missouri-politician-suicide/

This is weird.  He was planning to run for governor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on February 26, 2015, 07:16:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 07:13:18 PM
This is weird.  He was planning to run for governor.

Not anymore.

The man's death was obviously a ploy to get sympathy votes.

CountDeMoney

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Valmy

QuoteThe St. Louis Post-Dispatch said Schweich's wife, who was in another room, heard him making phone calls -- and then a gunshot. It happened just hours after Schweich had requested interviews with the Post-Dispatch and The Associated Press at his home.

That sounds....interesting.  What was the interview supposed to be about?  Who was he calling?

*X-Files music*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 08:22:22 PM
QuoteThe St. Louis Post-Dispatch said Schweich's wife, who was in another room, heard him making phone calls -- and then a gunshot. It happened just hours after Schweich had requested interviews with the Post-Dispatch and The Associated Press at his home.

That sounds....interesting.  What was the interview supposed to be about?  Who was he calling?

*X-Files music*

St. Louis Post Dispatch.  Nobody knows more then that.  I've heard he was a victim of a rumor campaign by some rich conservative in St. Louis who keeps trying to buy elections ( He spent a lot of cash in the Cole County Judge race, but it backfired when the nasty adds were linked to this weirdo.)  The big Republican shindig was last week, that might have something to do with it.  The whole thing is bizarre.  Guy was in Afghanistan working in curbing the drug trade, he was given the rank of ambassador, he worked for Danforth when he was UN ambassador.  He was well connected and well known.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Bet he got caught with somebody's dick in his mouth, and decided a pistol would be the better alternative instead.

citizen k

Or someone wasn't happy with losing their revenue stream.  :tinfoil:

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2015, 09:28:52 PM
Bet he got caught with somebody's dick in his mouth, and decided a pistol would be the better alternative instead.

This is my guess. I wonder if he was given an ultimatum by party members last week, drop out or come out.

Valmy

It would be really pathetic to shoot yourself over that in 2015.  I hope not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory