Main Menu

The President's First Insult

Started by Siege, February 26, 2015, 10:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 26, 2015, 10:51:56 AM
No mention of Pagans, :mad: yet Muslims are mentioned. THANKS OBAMA

I thought he mentioned non-believers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2015, 10:28:22 AM
I know plenty of Jews, American ones as well, who find the whole "Judeo-Christian" thing pretty insulting, and who do not think "the facts show that."

It's not insulting (how?) but it is a polite fiction at best.

America is a Christian country and always has been.  Thankfully it is also a country that has placed great value on religious tolerance and diversity.  It is really too bad the author quoted in the OP completely fails to understand that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 10:33:18 AM
It isn't hard to find people insulted by seemingly innocuous things.
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 26, 2015, 11:38:36 AM
It's not insulting (how?) but it is a polite fiction at best.

Yeah, insulting was a bad choice of word on my part - "mildly annoying" would have been better :blush:

QuoteAmerica is a Christian country and always has been.  Thankfully it is also a country that has placed great value on religious tolerance and diversity.  It is really too bad the author quoted in the OP completely fails to understand that.

The mild annoyance, where I've seen it expressed, comes from people not liking having their identity co-opted and used for political purposes and the feeling that that is exactly what "Judeo-Christian" is used for, and typically not by Jews.

grumbler

Glad to see Siege reverting to the genial moron schtick.  It was hard to avoid taking him seriously when he started posting seriously.  Hopefully he is over that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I know plenty of Jews, American ones as well, who find the whole "Judeo-Christian" thing pretty insulting, and who do not think "the facts show that."

Then they probably don't understand that the "Judeo" in Judeo-Christian is a reference to the fact that the "Old Testament" was included in the Bible.  It is not a suggestion that the US is part Jewish and part Christian.  It is reference to the fact that the US is entirely a Christian nation and the Old Testament forms part of Christianity's Holy Book.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2015, 12:22:50 PM

Then they probably don't understand that the "Judeo" in Judeo-Christian is a reference to the fact that the "Old Testament" was included in the Bible.  It is not a suggestion that the US is part Jewish and part Christian.  It is reference to the fact that the US is entirely a Christian nation and the Old Testament forms part of Christianity's Holy Book.

:hmm:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

I thought Judeo-Christian was a statement about the Jewish and Christian roots of western culture not a claim of any sort of religious purity.  Anyway any statement that refers to Jews and Christians either together or separately is going to offend somebody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Yes, I am sure that it American Jews who don't understand, and it is you that does understand.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 12:33:14 PM
I thought Judeo-Christian was a statement about the Jewish and Christian roots of western culture not a claim of any sort of religious purity.  Anyway any statement that refers to Jews and Christians either together or separately is going to offend somebody.

You probably don't understand, either.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 12:45:36 PM
You probably don't understand, either.

If I did I would be explaining it rather than simply saying my thoughts on the matter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 12:16:13 PM
Glad to see Siege reverting to the genial moron schtick.  It was hard to avoid taking him seriously when he started posting seriously.  Hopefully he is over that.

I don't have an schtick. Please stop harassing me or I will report you to the moderators.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on February 26, 2015, 12:26:03 PM

:hmm:

But, you didn't know that?
That was the way I always understood it, until some amerijuddens told me it was some form of recognition of jews precense in America's funding.
i was like "what?".
Yeah, I know there was a bunch of jews in America back then, and that Georgia had a Sefaradi governor in 1800, but thats not how I understood the judeo-christian thing.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

The term refers to all members of the Judeo-Chritian religions. It means exactly what CC specifically claimed it does NOT mean, in fact.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on February 26, 2015, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 12:16:13 PM

I don't have an schtick. Please stop harassing me or I will report you to the moderators.
:lol:

Welcome back, schtick.  But remember, part of the schtick is denying that you even know what the word "schtick" means.  Don't go off-script.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?