News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hundreds attend funeral of Copenhagen gunman

Started by Martinus, February 26, 2015, 02:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 12:16:45 PM
I think it is because it could be interpreted as supporting terrorism (Which, to some people there, it probably was).  That makes people angry so they want something done about it.

I guess that, if hate-violence = terrorism, attending the funeral could be seen as supporting terrorism.  I think we are defining terrorism so broadly as to destroy its meaning if we call this guy a terrorist, though.  He seemed to be killing people out of anger, not as part of some political message (unless he left such a message and I just missed that fact).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 12:20:45 PM
I guess that, if hate-violence = terrorism, attending the funeral could be seen as supporting terrorism.  I think we are defining terrorism so broadly as to destroy its meaning if we call this guy a terrorist, though.  He seemed to be killing people out of anger, not as part of some political message (unless he left such a message and I just missed that fact).

Ok then.

I think it is because it could be interpreted as supporting hate-violence (Which, to some people there, it probably was).  That makes people angry so they want something done about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 12:28:43 PM
Ok then.

I think it is because it could be interpreted as supporting hate-violence (Which, to some people there, it probably was).  That makes people angry so they want something done about it.

Agreed.  And some of those attending the funeral were almost surely motivated  by the fact that they knew how irritated those to whom you refer would be.  Those types probably didn't care why the guy died, just that he was anti-establishment, like them, and they could poke a finger in the eye of the establishment/Marti types by attending his funeral.  Others, I am sure, attended because they wanted to make a pro-bigot (the dead guy) political statement, as you say.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2015, 10:04:21 AM
What kind of mild obstruction do you have in mind Marty?

Asking them to show up at a police precinct to answer some questions. Or showing up in their houses to ask them few questions, unfortunately holding them up long enough to prevent them from attending the funeral.

Martinus

I think it is bizarre to argue this guy was *not* a terrorist. Targetting random civilians to send a political/religious/ideological message and/or to intimidate a group of people is the very definition of terrorism, even if the terrorist is acting alone.  :huh:

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2015, 01:08:23 PM

Asking them to show up at a police precinct to answer some questions. Or showing up in their houses to ask them few questions, unfortunately holding them up long enough to prevent them from attending the funeral.

I don't think you're obliged to stick around and answer police questions if you have somewhere to go; nor are you obliged to go to the police precinct at a time that is inconvenient to you. I doubt that sort of police-state methods could actually work in Denmark.

Would you expect the police to undertake this sort of action on its own initiative, or do you think instructions for this should come from some sort of politician?

Martinus

No wonder that your country is overrun with terrorists.

Martinus

grumbler, would you argue that Anders Breivik was not a terrorist?

Jacob

Martinus

Valmy

Vancouver is a hotbed of radicals ready to commit horrendous acts at a moment's notice.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2015, 01:11:03 PM
I think it is bizarre to argue this guy was *not* a terrorist. Targetting random civilians to send a political/religious/ideological message and/or to intimidate a group of people is the very definition of terrorism, even if the terrorist is acting alone.  :huh:

Of course he was a terrorist. Only sillies would argue otherwise.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2015, 01:08:23 PM

So they would ask the people who came to the funeral to do this before they went so they could stop them from going. All several hundred of them.

There is one slight problem with this plan....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned