News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hundreds attend funeral of Copenhagen gunman

Started by Martinus, February 26, 2015, 02:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"He just made the wrong choices, I do not see him as a terrorist," said the man, who gave his name as Mohammed.

The "wrong"/"bad choices" line gets dragged out a lot here when some dirtbag, often a sports professional, gets busted for doing something wrong.  The inference is that he's generally a great guy who just made a bad choice.  Like it's impossible that he's simply a terrible human being.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on February 26, 2015, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2015, 03:41:01 AM
I don't hate Freedom. I just root for the English and/or the Romans in Mel Gibson movies.  :bowler:

You simply haven't internalized the idea of free speech.  That's okay, a lot of Euros have the same problem.

What interest me more is the real world use and exercise of free speech, rather than just a strictly legal view point.

I'd be keen to find data broken down for how much Americans, Canadians, Europeans and others actually use their rights to free speech. I wonder how much research has been done on that?

I have no idea what the hell you mean.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

What kind of mild obstruction do you have in mind Marty? 

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 10:02:28 AM

I think I know what he means but I have no idea how he thinks it could be quantified.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I think it should be remembered that when you grant a government the power to harass people (or mildly obstruct them), you've also granted the government the power to harass you.  A government invested with the power to break up funerals is a government that is invested with the power to break up a gay pride parade.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2015, 10:08:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 10:02:28 AM

I think I know what he means but I have no idea how he thinks it could be quantified.

My only guess is that means speech he deems meaningful as opposed to speech he deems non-meaningful.  But that would be absurd and arbitrary.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on February 26, 2015, 09:38:26 AM
What interest me more is the real world use and exercise of free speech, rather than just a strictly legal view point.

I'd be keen to find data broken down for how much Americans, Canadians, Europeans and others actually use their rights to free speech. I wonder how much research has been done on that?

Really don't think there's any measurable metric for that other than the legal one:  either somebody goes to jail for saying something, or they don't.

Or are you just beginning to ramp up another one of your oblique "ZOMG AMERIKA ISNT REALLY ABOUT FREE SPEECH AT ALL" criticisms, despite coming from a big steaming pile of European hypocritical bullshit?

Admiral Yi

I suspect what mongers is trying to get at is how often citizens make statements that piss the government off.  Since of course the amount of free speech excercised is simply the amount of speech, of any kind, produced.  On Languish, the poster with the highest post count is the one excercising free speech the most.

The Brain

Why would you stop people from attending funerals? Doesn't compute.

And it's hardly news that moderate Muslims support the crazy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Why should they stop people from attending the funeral? I don't think Denmark restricts or regulates the funerals of other criminals, why should they restrict or regulate this one?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2015, 12:09:39 PM
Why should they stop people from attending the funeral? I don't think Denmark restricts or regulates the funerals of other criminals, why should they restrict or regulate this one?

They should do so because failing to do so irritates Some Guy on the Internet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 12:11:55 PM

I imagine a country governed along those lines would be well-nigh utopian.

Valmy

I think it is because it could be interpreted as supporting terrorism (Which, to some people there, it probably was).  That makes people angry so they want something done about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2015, 12:15:18 PM

Well, Martopian, anyway.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 12:16:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2015, 12:15:18 PM

Well, Martopian, anyway.

I was picturing it responding to all some-guy-on-the-internet-injunctions, not just the ones coming from Marty.