News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Toronto Tunnel Speculation Thread

Started by Malthus, February 25, 2015, 10:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Today's letters to the Editor in the Globe were pretty funny. I particularly liked the Murdoch one:

QuoteRe Secret York U Bunker Puzzles Police (Feb. 25): Nefarious, sinister, ominous? Or possibly just the work of some who are trying to circumvent Toronto's real estate prices and winter temperatures?

Helen Godfrey, Toronto

Maybe it's just a place where Leafs fans can hide rather than face yet-another disappointing season.

Gilles Coughlan, Ottawa

Detective William Murdoch would've told you a century ago that the tunnel is the work of either scalawags or ne'er-do-wells. Round them all up for questioning, he'd have said: They may have been aided and abetted by riff-raff hell bent on skulduggery.

But Constable George Crabtree would have suspected those albino mole-people: Dust everything for finger marks with fine powdered sugar if you can locate some.

Brian Beckett, Nepean, Ont.

It's fairly easy to explain Toronto's mystery hole. Those smart students were simply digging toward the Earth's core – where it's apparently around 6,000 C – to get warm. And if they'd asked me along, I'd have joined them.

Gordon S. Findlay, Toronto

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/letters/feb-26-cause-to-celebrate-and-other-letters-to-the-editor/article23206955/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2015, 10:26:03 AM
So, the cops found out that someone - more likely, several someones - had built a mysterious tunnel on some wasteland near York University.

This was no small undertaking - there was a generator for an electric light system, and it was shored up with wooden supports. Looks to have been dug by hand.

So far, no clue as to what it was for. It did not lead anywhere.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02/24/york-u-tunnel-yields-eerie-clues.html

Palestinians.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Bah.  The police are just behind the times.  I found that tunnel in Fallout 3 seven years ago.  It's not supposed to go anywhere - it just contained a leveled supermutant (who must have been killed by someone else at least seven days before the cops found the tunnel, because the body is gone).  The lack of gore bags is a bit puzzling, I will admit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Why not leave a few hidden game cameras and shut up about it for a few months? Now the tunnel digger(s) will not show up again. Would have been funny to see images of Gimly showing up.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 26, 2015, 02:11:16 PM
Why not leave a few hidden game cameras and shut up about it for a few months? Now the tunnel digger(s) will not show up again. Would have been funny to see images of Gimly Gimlet, son of Groin, showing up.
FTFY
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 26, 2015, 02:11:16 PM
Why not leave a few hidden game cameras and shut up about it for a few months? Now the tunnel digger(s) will not show up again. Would have been funny to see images of Gimly showing up.

The police waited a number of months before going public to see if they could find out the who and why.  When they found no evidence they decided to appeal to the public for clues.

Monoriu

Back in the days when I played Everquest, I had multiple characters, and one problem was to switch stuff between characters.  Of course, I trusted no one, not even my guildmates who adventured with me every night.  So I found a really quiet corner in Qeynos (Sony EQ backwards), basically the middle of a maze inside a big building, and dropped stuff there for another character to pick up. 

Maybe the tunnel is for someone who have found a way to log on with another character  :ph34r:

Razgovory

I'm beginning to think Grumbler is losing his mind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 07:52:07 PM

Bullshit.  He knows exactly where it is.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2015, 07:56:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2015, 07:52:07 PM

Bullshit.  He knows exactly where it is.
In this case, it's in Bored of the Rings.  Not that I'd expect to find a copy of that work in Raz's family's basement.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 08:02:56 PM
In this case, it's in Bored of the Rings.  Not that I'd expect to find a copy of that work in Raz's family's basement.

My yellowed and well-thumbed 1st edition copy is tucked away safely in storage. Tim Benzedrine FTW.  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2015, 08:06:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 08:02:56 PM

My yellowed and well-thumbed 1st edition copy is tucked away safely in storage. Tim Benzedrine FTW.  :lol:

This Ring and no other
was made by the elves
who'd pawn their own mother
to own it themselves.

Bayraktar!

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius