News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Does your job involve "selling"?

Started by Martinus, February 20, 2015, 03:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 20, 2015, 09:11:36 AM
Short answer: If you think your job does not involve selling, you're doing it wrong.  :P

I'm so glad I'm doing it wrong.

dps

I work in retail, so, well, or course, yes.

MadImmortalMan

No matter what you do, you're selling yourself at least. If you have a job at all, it's because you were at least able to do that much.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

frunk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 20, 2015, 06:14:12 PM
No matter what you do, you're selling yourself at least. If you have a job at all, it's because you were at least able to do that much.

Getting hired is not the job, that's getting hired.

Monoriu

Everybody sells, even civil servants.  We all have to convince others to buy our ideas, whether the target audience is our bosses or the public.

Martinus

Again, not the same thing.

I think what differentiates real selling from "selling we all do in our life yada yada yada" is (1) you are selling stuff to people you do not know, (2) you do it on a daily basis, and (3) the rate of rejection is much higher. This does require certain psychological traits that not everyone has and I was interested in learning how people who do real selling approach this.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 21, 2015, 12:29:17 AM
Everybody sells, even civil servants.  We all have to convince others to buy our ideas, whether the target audience is our bosses or the public.

Do civil servants in Hong Kong regularly appear in front of the public and try to sell them stuff? Because trying to think up talking points for politicians/government officials is not "selling things to the public".

Norgy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 21, 2015, 12:29:17 AM

Are you guys encouraged to have, you know, your own ideas?  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 21, 2015, 01:31:01 AM
Again, not the same thing.

I think what differentiates real selling from "selling we all do in our life yada yada yada" is (1) you are selling stuff to people you do not know, (2) you do it on a daily basis, and (3) the rate of rejection is much higher. This does require certain psychological traits that not everyone has and I was interested in learning how people who do real selling approach this.
While I agree that the line CC trotted out is annoying, you've just made up your own definition of sales. There are plenty of sales people who just sell to the same accounts, over and over.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Ok, perhaps I should have said "to people outside of your own organisation" as opposed to people you don't know. Although I would say that even people who have a stable client base are required to look out for more clients.

Admiral Yi

I'm an assembly line worker.  I don't do any selling.

That's why I channel my hustling instinct, an instinct which is possessed by all Americans, and which is arguably simultaneously our greatest glory and our great downfall, into pimping the mike at my karaoke joint.

Norgy

I see you as some cross between Psy and Hayek. Which is interesting, to say the least.  :ph34r:

Martinus

Norgy

37 Cent (real wage adjusted against inflation).