Lithuanian Parliament adopts gay "promotion" ban

Started by Martinus, June 17, 2009, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteLithuanian parliament adopts gay 'promotion' ban
Lithuanian lawmakers Tuesday passed a law banning what they dubbed the promotion of homosexuality, sparking an angry reaction from gay rights groups in the Baltic state, informs AFP/LETA.

Sixty-seven members of parliament voted in favour of the new legislation on the protection of minors. Three voted against and four abstained.

The law bars the public dissemination of information favorable to homosexuality on the grounds that it could harm the mental health and physical, intellectual and moral development of youngsters.

Vladimir Simonko, president of Lithuanian Gay League, slammed the move.  "Institutionalised homophobia is being set in stone," he said.

The legislation – which also applies to bisexuality and polygamy – does not specifically define public dissemination, nor does it set down the punishment for anyone who breaks it.

Lithuanian gay rights campaigners said they planned to ask the country's president not to sign the law, a step that is necessary for it to be implemented. Homosexuality is frowned upon by many people in Lithuania, where the vast majority of the population of 3.4 million is Roman Catholic. In 2007 and 2008, municipal authorities in the capital Vilnius and Lithuania's second city of Kaunas banned events that were part of a European Union-sponsored anti-discrimination campaign.

Those bans, as well as refusals to allow local campaigners to hold several public events, led to criticism from human rights watchdog Amnesty International.

Gay rights campaigners from Lithuania and neighbouring Latvia and Estonia are nonetheless planning to hold a high-profile "gay pride" march in Vilnius next May.

This year's edition of the annual event was held in the Latvian capital Riga and passed off peacefully under a heavy police presence designed to keep apart marchers and anti-gay demonstrators who had attacked previous rallies.

http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/baltic_news/?doc=3351

What's gay "promotion"? With every anal intercourse, get one blowjob free?

Anyway, fucking Lithuanians. And I thought Poland was fucked up.

HVC

Sometime you make me wish Poland would adopt a internet access ban for gays ;) :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

You guys complain when I posted gay stories from the US, saying that I focus too much on America, rather than my own backyard. So now I post a story from Eastern Europe and you still complain. There is no pleasing you people.

garbon

Maybe there is a common element in all of that which you are overlooking...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Maybe they are hoping to be more like Poland and move towards re-establishing the Commonwealth?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2009, 10:15:07 AM
Maybe they are hoping to be more like Poland and move towards re-establishing the Commonwealth?
Well, Poland never adopted such laws. The last party to suggest that is now polling below 1% of popular vote. :P

In terms of gay rights within the EU, the order is about this:

Scandinavia, Spain, Benelux (full marriage, adoptions)
UK, France, Germany (some forms of civil unions)
Italy, Austria etc. (going there)
Czech Republic, Hungary (civil unions but some homophobia)
Ireland, Greece (some form of homophobia)
Poland
Baltics
Romania (homosexuality was still illegal in 2001) and Bulgaria

HVC

No, we complain that your news story postings are based almost exclusively on gay news. You're the Timmy of Gay internet posting; scouring the net for gay themed articles.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2009, 10:16:50 AM
No, we complain that your news story postings are based almost exclusively on gay news. You're the Timmy of Gay internet posting; scouring the net for gay themed articles.
Well these are topics that are of importance to me, and at the same time are unlikely to be posted by anyone else.

PDH

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 10:16:17 AM
Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay

Gay: Gay

Gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay, gay gay gay, gay gay.  Gay gay gay gay, gay gay; gay gay gay gay.

Gay gay gay gay, gay gay gay gay gay gay gay.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

I just like verbally shoving Marti's face into a pile of dogshit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Besides, right now on page one there are three threads started by me, and only one is about gay stuff. The other two are about immigration rights for non-married couples and about choosing matching ties and suspenders, respectively. :P

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 10:25:58 AM
Besides, right now on page one there are three threads started by me, and only one is about gay stuff. The other two are about immigration rights for non-married couples and about choosing matching ties and suspenders, respectively. :P

The only problem is those other two threads are even gayer than your gay news threads.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2009, 10:27:38 AM
The only problem is those other two threads are even gayer than your gay news threads.
Beat you to it.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

derspiess

If this means Marti can't spam message boards with gay threads in Lithuania, then I support this law & think it should be extended worldwide.

Gotta protect the chillens :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall