And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Mardi Gras!

Started by Martinus, February 17, 2015, 08:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm eating traditional Polish faworki

Valmy

There was some traditional Polish thing being sold at the stores yesterday beside the 'King Cake'.  I guess you guys have traditions around this as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Yeah, it used to be much bigger when Poles observed Lent and whatnot. Now it's just another excuse for carbs.

In addition to faworki (which are "ribbon bows" made from French puff pastry, deep fried in oil and then sprinkled with powdered sugar) we also eat doughnuts (although that's more of a "Fat Thursday" - i.e. last week's Thursday - thing) but Polish doughnouts are slightly different than the American ones (they do not have holes in them and are usually glazed).

celedhring

In Catalonia we traditionally eat egg sausage and lard pie. Yeah, lard pie.

Sheilbh

Already had my first round of pancakes.

Thinking of something to give up for lent...
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Nobody thought of bringing Krapfen to the office today. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

It's crêpes über alles for the Mardi gras in France.
As for Portugal, masked men are roaming in the countryside around Bragança.  :ph34r: