New Jersey judge: Gay conversion therapy is consumer fraud

Started by Martinus, February 14, 2015, 04:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteNew Jersey judge: Gay conversion therapy is consumer fraud

Therapy to 'turn' gay people straight has been ruled consumer fraud by a judge in New Jersey.

Four men are suing Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing (JONAH), claiming that they were forced to take part in sexualised activities such as stripping naked while surrounded by a group of men.

Ruling in the case today, Judge Peter Bariso Jr of Hudson County Superior Court found that the conversion therapy offered by the group violated the Consumer Fraud Act, by inaccurately describing homosexuality as a mental illness, disease, or disorder.

Therapy sessions at JONAH cost £65 per session. One of the men, who was a victim of childhood sexual abuse, was forced to masturbate while the therapist watched to 'make him straight'.

Judge Bariso said: "The theory that homosexuality is a disorder is not novel but like the notion that the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it—instead is outdated and refuted."

The ruling is the first time in the US that a court has found it fraudulent for therapists to claim that homosexuality is a disorder.

David Dinielli of the Southern Poverty Law Center, who represented the four men, said: "This ruling is monumental and devastating to the conversion therapy industry.

"For the first time, a court has ruled that it is fraudulent as a matter of law for conversion therapists to tell clients that they have a mental disorder that can be cured.

"This is the principal lie the conversion therapy industry uses throughout the country to peddle its quackery to vulnerable clients.

"Gay people don't need to be cured, and we are thrilled that the court has recognized this."

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/02/13/new-jersey-judge-gay-conversion-therapy-is-consumer-fraud/

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

In more pressing consumer fraud news I'm thinking that the ladies in the Anal Virgins series aren't actually anal virgins. Anal virgin Cherry Torn? Really?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

The most interesting part of this story is that the patients appear to have been forced to pay in British pounds.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

QuoteOne of the men, who was a victim of childhood sexual abuse, was forced to masturbate while the therapist watched to 'make him straight'.

No sir, not gay at all.

Why is it the biggest homophobes always wind up being the biggest fags doing the gayest shit?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2015, 09:54:04 AM
QuoteOne of the men, who was a victim of childhood sexual abuse, was forced to masturbate while the therapist watched to 'make him straight'.

No sir, not gay at all.

Why is it the biggest homophobes always wind up being the biggest fags doing the gayest shit?

Theoretically the therapist could be a woman.

Also is a man watching a man masturbate the 'gayest shit'? I can think of gayer things. :perv:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney