Periods Of Your Country's History That You Don't Take Seriously?

Started by mongers, February 13, 2015, 07:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

All you guys complaining about the fascination with the Tudors - that is not nearly as bizzare and incomprehensible as the "Ricardians".

Why would thousands of apparently otherwise sane people care so very deeply that Richard III (allegedly) got a raw deal by Shakespeare?  :lol:

In any event, most of the shit he was accused of was just in the job description. Murder inconvenient claimants to the throne who are closely related to you? SURELY NO TUDOR WOULD DO THAT!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 13, 2015, 03:03:43 PM
All you guys complaining about the fascination with the Tudors

Not complaining so much as baffled by it.

Quotethat is not nearly as bizzare and incomprehensible as the "Ricardians".

JUSTICE FOR DICKIE III!  But seriously that seems like a fringe group.

QuoteIn any event, most of the shit he was accused of was just in the job description. Murder inconvenient claimants to the throne who are closely related to you? SURELY NO TUDOR WOULD DO THAT!

Mary and Elizabeth cried their eyes out afterwards you monster!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2015, 02:32:04 PM
Oh, I should also probably mention Matejko, a historical painter from the 19th century, who also played a huge role in painting iconic moments from Polish history. Like this extremely excessive Battle of Grunwald:

I think you mean extremely awesome :wub:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 13, 2015, 03:17:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2015, 02:32:04 PM
Oh, I should also probably mention Matejko, a historical painter from the 19th century, who also played a huge role in painting iconic moments from Polish history. Like this extremely excessive Battle of Grunwald:

I think you mean extremely awesome :wub:

It is really impressive when you're standing in front of it. But perhaps not great art.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2015, 03:34:32 PM
It's from the Baroque period.  Busy is what they did.

I guess they were still a 150 years behind the rest of the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2015, 02:09:51 PM
Quote from: Camerus on February 13, 2015, 01:26:14 PM
I've always found most of Canada's history to be quite dull, but as the faux-Chinese saying has it, interesting times (past or present) do not generally translate into good living.    :Canuck:

For Euro history, I've always personally taken the mainstream Prottie approach of reading the Middle Ages as something of a curious interregnum - and so to be studied as an overview, but lacking the same gravity as the history of the "Modern" era or antiquity. 

But the periods and regions I've been interested in have changed over time and will probably continue to do so in the future.   :swiss:

I've come around on Canadian history.  It's not as violent as the history of other places, but it's more accessible too.

Of course it's accessible.  You barely have 30 years of Canadian history!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: mongers on February 13, 2015, 07:51:01 AM
So what's your own dark age?
early 20th century, the end of the industrial revolution, the boring 20s and the Great Depression.  Never fantasized much about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 03:11:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 13, 2015, 03:03:43 PM
All you guys complaining about the fascination with the Tudors

I really think it's a chick thing.

Martinus

Hardly. It's second half of the 19th century. Baroque was 17th century.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

It's a family that makes for perfect soap-opera fodder.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 13, 2015, 04:31:23 PM

It's a family that makes for perfect soap-opera fodder.

And the Stewarts aren't?  Or heck the Plantagenets.

The Hanoverians are Germans and thus a little stiff.

Henry VIII and Elizabeth I are just super stars for some reason.  Nobody matches their star power no matter how soap-opera-ish they are.  And I guess that is what those other dynasties lack: compelling protagonists for the story.

It does give the rather funny impression to some people I have talked to that all men were like Henry VIII. They just chopped off every woman's head who did not give them a son to preserve their dynasty, even if they were a shoemaker or something.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2015, 04:28:51 PM

Hardly. It's second half of the 19th century. Baroque was 17th century.

To be fair, the Romantic and Historical painters of the 1800s were influenced by the Baroque approach, as is evident from the paintings we're looking at.

Death of Sardanapalus is pretty busy too, for example.