Periods Of Your Country's History That You Don't Take Seriously?

Started by mongers, February 13, 2015, 07:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 11:58:36 AM
:lol: You're so vain you probably think that historical period's about you.

Warren Beatty won the American Revolution.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:00:47 PM
Sure. The late Stuarts and Hannoverians are really very boring. The French Revolution's necessary to bring a change :w00t: :wub:

If it was so boring why was a great Stanley Kubrick film set in it eh?

It is also the era of pirates and all that.  But I guess you are correct in the sense the upper class oligarchy had stolen the show in 1688 and pretty much had it their way until the French Revolution rolled around and showed people how to deal with aristo-pigs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

We don't have as much history as you Europeans so every year is precious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Empire  :zzz

Thanks Tim, but I'm afraid it's not my cup of tea :(
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:00:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 11:58:36 AM
:lol: You're so vain you probably think that historical period's about you.

Well I couldn't help but notice the pattern :angry:
Sure. The late Stuarts and Hannoverians are really very boring.

That's the period that I always want to learn more about. Well maybe the Hannoverians as I have a few books on the former.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 13, 2015, 12:30:18 PM
The rise and fall of the First British Empire!

They have a pretty good-sized empire going at the beginning of the EU2 Grand Campaign.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 13, 2015, 12:40:18 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 13, 2015, 12:30:18 PM
The rise and fall of the First British Empire!

They have a pretty good-sized empire going at the beginning of the EU2 Grand Campaign.

Perhaps you are thinking of England? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:38:12 PM
Empire  :zzz

Thanks Tim, but I'm afraid it's not my cup of tea :(

We could have ruled the world together. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

I could never be bothered with Tudor history either, and I always found it hard to understand popular culture's fascination with it.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on February 13, 2015, 01:10:17 PM
I could never be bothered with Tudor history either, and I always found it hard to understand popular culture's fascination with it.

And why does Henry VII always get left out?  I mean come on!

Anyway my wife is a good example.  She knows everything about the Tudor dynasty from Henry VIII to the death of Elizabeth.  Anything at all about what happened Stone Ages - Henry VIII or Elizabeth I - present day?  Barely anything.  She has big opinions about William Cecil or Thomas Cromwell.  Oliver Cromwell or David Lloyd George?  Who are they?

I think Shakespeare has a lot to do with it.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".