Self-proclaimed atheist charged in slayings of North Carolina Muslim students

Started by garbon, February 11, 2015, 09:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on February 12, 2015, 03:22:47 AM
His wife said it was motivated by religion but by parking disputes.

He is heterosexual too then. But not self-proclaimed, no sir, we had to deduce that from his marriage.............what an underhand bastard.

I hope that the heterosexual and atheist communities come forth and denounce this man.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

That he was an atheist seems moot; that he was anti-religious seems quite germane.  Newspapers miss the distinction; film at 11.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2015, 04:30:56 AM
I'm trying to see what your point is, but I can't quite grasp it.

RH is mocking those who demand that moderate Moslems have to speak up and denounce every act of terror by radical Moslems.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 12, 2015, 03:47:26 AM
Is there an alternative way of being an Atheist other than it being self-proclaimed? :huh:
I think there is an exam involved.  Have to go to classes.
PDH!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Is there an alternative way of being an Atheist other than it being self-proclaimed? :huh:

Being proclaimed an atheist by God would sort of spoil the notion.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 12, 2015, 08:56:21 AM

Being proclaimed an atheist by God would sort of spoil the notion.  :(

I have a God-given right to Atheism!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I'm surprised nobody is tackling this from the Chapel Hill angle, what with the recent death of Dean Smith.  I wonder if the media can get Jordan to comment.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2015, 07:23:16 AM
That he was an atheist seems moot; that he was anti-religious seems quite germane.  Newspapers miss the distinction; film at 11.

Is it a distinction with meaningful difference? I can't speak for you but pretty much every time that I encounter someone who is anti-religious, they are an atheist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

On a different note, I like the wife noting that he is not hateful, it was a parking dispute. Because clearly it isn't hatefulness that drives you to murder 3 people over a parking spot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2015, 09:51:14 AM
On a different note, I like the wife noting that he is not hateful, it was a parking dispute. Because clearly it isn't hatefulness that drives you to murder 3 people over a parking spot.

Indeed.  Though probably the legal result of having hate crime legislation where shooting people in the head is less bad if done over a parking spot.  Though with a crime this severe I cannot imagine it matters much either way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2015, 09:51:14 AM

Well, apparently you are better off being a cold blooded murderer rather than committing a hate crime.

Richard Hakluyt

The hate crime legislation makes more sense with regard to lesser offences, eg screaming "f**** Muslims!" at people during a dispute over a parking space, I think most would agree this is worse than people simply squabbling with raised voices. Such a scenario is also far more common than a triple murder as well of course. In the case of this particular crime, the triple murder is heinous enough in itself, unless he is a member of an organised anti-religious hate group I can't get excited about the killer's atheism.