U.S. should fund climate engineering research, report concludes

Started by jimmy olsen, February 11, 2015, 06:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

QuoteU.S. should fund climate engineering research, report concludes

A panel of the National Research Council (NRC) is calling for federal funding of research

I'm shocked that an entity charged with overseeing research is calling for more funding of research.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 11, 2015, 09:02:22 PM
We can't even rationally manage ourselves.  The world's doomed.

After the bottleneck event, the descendants of the rich who prepared will be the only survivors, and all humans will be depraved sociopaths.  At least everyone will be on a level playing field the next time.

I for one look forward to the Earth taking care of business Herself, and dealing with humanity on Her own terms in time.  Shame it's going to cost Her so much but that's short term, geologically speaking.

Monoriu

I don't know.  The increased CO2 in the atmosphere is the result of hundreds of years of human activity, the work of untold numbers of factories, cars, planes, machines working for decades.  Plus cow farting or whatever.  To reverse this entire process and return the CO2 to the underground/sea caverns borders on fantasy to me.  I am sure one can extract some CO2 from the air.  Even trees can do that.  But the scale of the effort required to have a material impact must be gigantic. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on February 11, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
I don't know.  The increased CO2 in the atmosphere is the result of hundreds of years of human activity, the work of untold numbers of factories, cars, planes, machines working for decades.  Plus cow farting or whatever.  To reverse this entire process and return the CO2 to the underground/sea caverns borders on fantasy to me.  I am sure one can extract some CO2 from the air.  Even trees can do that.  But the scale of the effort required to have a material impact must be gigantic.

It seems more realistic to me that we will do that than we will significantly reduce our fossil fuel usage anytime soon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2015, 11:13:53 PM
It seems more realistic to me that we will do that than we will significantly reduce our fossil fuel usage anytime soon.

With Oncor's new battery scheme we might be able to phase it out on the Texas grid eventually.  I look forward to seeing how it goes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 11, 2015, 09:02:22 PM
After the bottleneck event, the descendants of the rich who prepared will be the only survivors,

I don't know of any scenarios where preppers survive but nobody else does. There will be opportunities to be seized.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus