There were at least 700 more Lynches in the South than previously thought

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2015, 04:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2015, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 10:22:03 AM
If you send someone to prison knowing he's not really guilty or that there exist a strong possibility he is not guilty, but he's a poor black and nobody will miss him, yes, it is the same.

Is your contention that the above has widespread occurrence?
in some States where they have death penalty?  Absolutely.  Didn't we have threads on this?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on February 11, 2015, 10:15:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 12:30:13 AM
Here's a novel idea: quote me the exact words of Obama instead of relying on Gop spin doctors.  I'd really like to read that justification he supposedly made...

Get off your high horse.
You are offended, yet, you do not provide me with the exact quote.  :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Mob psychology is interesting stuff.

I think if you find some picture of a bunch of white guys standing around a black guy they just hung, 100% of them will be thinking that what they just did was necessary and moral, if legally questionable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 10:27:16 AM
If you send someone to prison knowing he's not really guilty or that there exist a strong possibility he is not guilty, but he's a poor black and nobody will miss him, yes, it is the same.

in some States where they have death penalty?  Absolutely.  Didn't we have threads on this?

I thought the issue was blacks getting tougher sentences for the same offenses as other less black races, not that we were tossing completely innocent people on death row in large numbers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2015, 10:28:42 AM
Mob psychology is interesting stuff.

I think if you find some picture of a bunch of white guys standing around a black guy they just hung, 100% of them will be thinking that what they just did was necessary and moral, if legally questionable.

Yep.  I wonder if any of them had second thoughts the next day or a few years down the road.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2015, 04:44:18 PM
Haven't we been talking about this for years?  It puzzles me how I keep hearing about things that were present in my basic history courses and I see mentioned all the time as if they are not being discussed or are being ignored.  I think people just do not give a damn about history really and that frustrates people but it is no conspiracy.  I certainly saw many graphic pictures of lynching and racial murder and race riots and large white crowds who showed up to see them.

Well, it's a complex issue - comparable to, say, participation in Holocaust in Central and Eastern Europe (and within the similar time frame, since last lynchings happened in the 1950s). It's one thing to acknowledge that "some (nameless and faceless) whites lynched blacks" and "these were just a few bad apples" and get on with your life. But for the healing/reconciliation to really happen you need people to acknowledge that it was their grandparents/parents/uncles etc. who were murderers/accessories to murders and their memory is still being cherished in their respective communities. That is much harder to admit.

I mean, the article mentions that often whole white communities participated in the lynchings - where are these people (at least in the metaphorical sense, as most of them are dead) now? Has every one of them been named and shamed (if not brought to justice) and recognised for this by their children and grandchildren? I very much doubt it.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2015, 10:27:16 AM

Really?  Can you name some states (and provide some evidence) where it is common to send people to prison because they are "poor black[..s] and nobody will miss [them]?"  'Cause I think you are full of shit, and that we have never had threads about such states.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on February 10, 2015, 04:59:53 PM
Why are they wipping this old dog again?
When was the last time a black dude was lynched?
Are there still mobs of white dudes out for blood lynching people in the South?

This is like Zerobama talking about the crusades as the justification for muslim terrorism.
Sure dude.

It takes a nerve for a Jew to complain about people complaining about old wrongs. :D

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 10, 2015, 05:46:04 PM
According to this website, there were 4,743 lynchings in the US from 1882-1967, of which 1,297 were white and 3,446 were black.

http://faculty.berea.edu/browners/chesnutt/classroom/lynchings_table_state.html

Does this number include the lynchings mentioned in the article Tim posted as unaccounted for?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Well, it's a complex issue - comparable to, say, participation in Holocaust in Central and Eastern Europe (and within the similar time frame, since last lynchings happened in the 1950s). It's one thing to acknowledge that "some (nameless and faceless) whites lynched blacks" and "these were just a few bad apples" and get on with your life. But for the healing/reconciliation to really happen you need people to acknowledge that it was their grandparents/parents/uncles etc. who were murderers/accessories to murders and their memory is still being cherished in their respective communities. That is much harder to admit.

Well the problem is I have no idea how many members of my family were involved.  The KKK member rolls have never been published.  Granted there probably is no such thing.  But the issue is even the ones who did not directly participate were accessories to one degree or another, and frankly why wouldn't they be?  The anti-black cultural influences were everywhere, hammering you from birth.  It wasn't until the horror of it was brought to light during the Civil Rights days that decent people in the South realized it was all bullshit.

But today it gets mixed up with weird stuff.  Siege thinks this story is about trying to guilt white people into giving shit to black people and that this is all ancient history.  I mean nevermind my parents remember it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 11:29:06 AM

Well the problem is I have no idea how many members of my family were involved.  The KKK member rolls have never been published.  Granted there probably is no such thing.  But the issue is even the ones who did not directly participate were accessories to one degree or another, and frankly why wouldn't they be?  The anti-black cultural influences were everywhere, hammering you from birth.  It wasn't until the horror of it was brought to light during the Civil Rights days that decent people in the South realized it was all bullshit.

But today it gets mixed up with weird stuff.  Siege thinks this story is about trying to guilt white people into giving shit to black people and that this is all ancient history.  I mean nevermind my parents remember it.

Ok, then don't be surprised when someone says this is not really being discussed. Because it isn't. You yourself have no idea if your family was involved so clearly this wasn't something that was discussed in your family, despite the fact that, as you say, even your parents remember it. :)

Valmy

I mean, the article mentions that often whole white communities participated in the lynchings - where are these people (at least in the metaphorical sense, as most of them are dead) now? Has every one of them been named and shamed (if not brought to justice) and recognised for this by their children and grandchildren? I very much doubt it.

Since that would be impossible you are very much correct. How could we possibly know who did what?  It would be impossible to do that for any number of modern riots much less ones from decades ago.

Martinus

And I am not casting stones, because (like most modern nations/groups) I come from one whose members, within pretty much living memory, did unspeakable wrong to other people - whether it's pogroms, Holocaust, apartheid, anti-black racism, rape of Nanking, it's not really important. And this is also not something that was discussed at my home, not extensively (and only recently Polish culture started to come to grips with such issues).

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2015, 11:32:45 AM
You yourself have no idea if your family was involved so clearly this wasn't something that was discussed in your family, despite the fact that, as you say, even your parents remember it. :)

My Grandparents, the Marylanders, were little kids at the time so nobody told them shit.  The only stories they told were about the Racism constant in the culture.  They were big on southern manners and all that and always were incredibly polite to everybody black and white.  But they were certainly infected by the cultural standards.  They had a black maid they paid a pension to after she retired as per the tradition at the time.  My father intentionally broke the traditions by doing things like always referring to her as 'Mrs. Masterson' instead of by her first name, which she thought was funny.  My father talks about different Black people were back then, so obviously terrorized.

But yeah what were my Great-Grandparents or my Great-Great-Grandparents up to?  No idea.  Nothing they ever told my Grandparents I will tell you that.  I do wonder though.  How much do you know about the actions of your Great-Grandparents?