There were at least 700 more Lynches in the South than previously thought

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2015, 04:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

For the white victims I'm guessing it was just mob justice.  It was just striking to me because you never hear about that except for the Jewish dude who was lynched over the Mary Phagan murder.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

William Lloyd Garrison was nearly lynched.  In Boston.  He survived only because the sheriff intervened physically with some deputies and put Garrison under arrest (for his own protection).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Count Axel von Fersen (lover of Marie Antoinette) was lynched in Stockholm in 1810. He was white.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

According to this website, there were 4,743 lynchings in the US from 1882-1967, of which 1,297 were white and 3,446 were black.

http://faculty.berea.edu/browners/chesnutt/classroom/lynchings_table_state.html

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

The largest single lynching event recorded in the US was of Italian laborers in New Orleans.  And lynchings in the Western states were largely mob justice against white victims.  Of course, this doesn't change the fundamental fact that lynching as a form of organized political violence was overwhelmingly directed against former slaves and their black descendants.

I have a photography book that probably corresponds to the exhibit derspiess saw.  What I find most remarkable is that lynching was not really treated a vile but necessary activity, but something that the participants took pride in and that was perceived as wholesome fun for the whole family in the communities where it took place, even where it involved extreme torture or the mutilation of corpses.  Many of the photos are taken from souvenir postcards of the period that were widely sold where lynchings took place, and then mailed to family and friends across the country; it took the intervention of the Postmaster General (during, IIRC, the T. Roosevelt administration) to drive this market underground, alongside the equally robust trade in the memorabilia of lynching victims' body parts.

Although there was some hand-wringing on the part of New South boosters in big city newspaper editorials, lynchings were largely something that you had to explain *not* participating in if you were a prominent male citizen in the communities where they took place.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2015, 05:06:11 PM

I guess I don't see how it is like that.  What was the article justifying?

Obviously federal over reach.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

So for a quick estimate of the role racism played in lynchings, lets take modern male incarceration rates applied to historical demographics.

Incarceration rates:
White: 0.678%
Black: 4.347%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Race

During the period in question, the US was roughly:
White: 90%
Black: 10%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_racial_and_ethnic_demographics_of_the_United_States

If race was not a factor, one would expect whites to be lynched in the following percentages (with that data):

(0.678*.9)/(0.678*.9 + 4.347*.1)= 58%

and blacks (by a similar calculation) = 42%.

In fact, whites were just 27% of those lynched, while blacks were 73%.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Toby Keith and Willie Nelson think there's nothing wrong with lynching bonafied criminals.  :outback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JOFhfoAD4
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2015, 06:17:18 PM
Toby Keith and Willie Nelson think there's nothing wrong with lynching bonafied criminals.  :outback:

Save you can never have those three words together, bona fide criminals fine, but a lynching is a singular outrage.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2015, 06:17:18 PM

But it's a no-go if they are deboned first, then?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Yes, I've met many Lynchs in the south. And Smiths, Reeds, Burkharts, and many many others.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2015, 07:12:47 PM
Yes, I've met many Lynchs in the south. And Smiths, Reeds, Burkharts, and many many others.

But no matter how many Lynches you previously thought there were, there were at least 700 more than that.  Even if you previously knew about the 700.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points