News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neat Net Neutrality News

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2015, 11:06:15 AM
I've considered the idea of abandoning traditional TV content provision in favor of just internet.

Problem is I have a wife and kids who have no tolerance for fucking around with 16 different ways to get at what they want to watch.

Add "no willingness to learn" to that and you have my family.  You'd think it requires an MIT grad to switch from the Tivo to the Xbox or Playstation, the way they act.

"The TV's not working!!!!"   :ultra: :frusty:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

I would cut the cable but I like sports so I am shit out of luck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2015, 11:37:58 AM

I'm pretty sure ESPN is available online.
But I don't know. I don't watch sports.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

I don't live in the USA

and while sports is available online, cost associated with it is larger than having cable sub.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

How's meth neutrality doing, by the way?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on February 10, 2015, 03:41:28 PM
How's meth neutrality doing, by the way?

Lost in Ohio to Heroin neutrality.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

There's been some cases where meth labs have been uncovered over here. Almost every news article contains the phrase "Crystal meth - as known from the TV show Breaking Bad." :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Yeah, for me the biggest reason for keeping our TV subscription is the sports.  The American online sports content isn't available in Canada.  If it was I would probably cut the TV subscription entirely. 

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 04:05:12 PM
The devil's advocate argument, is that unlike in the analogy on roads, it is the cable companies who've paid for/built most of the infrastructure.  But on the flip side, they're already charging you to access it, but they also want to control how you use that access.

The real counter-argument for the FCC's decision to increase bureaucracy is that the problems it solved didn't exist.  I've heard a lot of pretty persuasive argument from academics who study this issue that the FCC is, as is common in bureaucracies, cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2015, 06:12:11 PM
There's been some cases where meth labs have been uncovered over here. Almost every news article contains the phrase "Crystal meth - as known from the TV show Breaking Bad." :lol:

Do they show you the PSAs with people's skin falling off?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

That's where I'm at.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on February 09, 2015, 03:11:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 03:04:19 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 09, 2015, 03:03:20 PM
TL;DR
What are the arguments in favor and against?

Freedom vs. Commies vs. Robber Barons

Ok.
So Net Neutrality is the free market solution or the monopolist/communist attempt to increase their power?

Both sides say their stand is free market at work. 

The anti- camp says that the market will drop the revenue hammer when interconnection fees become unreasonable.

The pro-net neutrality camp says that the revenue hammer couldn't be dropped on certain companies because they connect content providers and consumers to the Internet.

Net neutrality is a good thing, IMO- they're basically telling Comcast and Verizon, "if you're going to operate like monopolies, we're going to regulate you like monopolies."  To a lesser extent, they're throwing down the gauntlet on wireless companies, except it'll be trickier to regulate those- by statute, wireless companies are exempted from many of the things that give the FCC teeth to enforce net neutrality.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2015, 01:09:37 PM

That's where I'm at.
And I.  Also, there's a fair chance that my wife would be very angry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2015, 06:12:11 PM

Should I watch that show?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"