Over Aggressive Prosecutors are the Real Reason for Mass Incarceration

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2015, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 09, 2015, 01:58:58 PM
Quote from: dps on February 09, 2015, 01:51:03 PM
I'm not convinced it's a problem, really.  If people want the prison population to decline, we should readily execute more criminals.

Fixed.  :)

For murderers, that works fine with me.

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2015, 10:56:25 AM
I don't have to be elected, and I have no idea what my "conviction rate" is.  Literally - it's never been tracked in any of the offices I've worked in.

Whoa man, that's is a huge oversight.
You should definitively know how effective you perform, so you can train to improve your weakneses.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on February 09, 2015, 03:57:51 PM

Whoa man, that's is a huge oversight.
You should definitively know how effective you perform, so you can train to improve your weakneses.

His effectiveness is not measured in convictions.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

I don't believe BB when he says he has "no idea" what his conviction rate is. When I'd go shoot hoops, I had a pretty good idea what percentage I was making even when I didn't keep count.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2015, 12:03:52 PM
I don't believe BB when he says he has "no idea" what his conviction rate is. When I'd go shoot hoops, I had a pretty good idea what percentage I was making even when I didn't keep count.

You probably are not shooting that many hoops  :P  The best I could ever tell you is that I shot well or I had a bad day.  When I go shoot with the boys and we put up several hundred shots I have no idea what my percentage might be.  And that is on a stat that has some meaning to a basketball player.  BB is in a similar situation, he does a large number of cases but his conviction rate is not a meaningful stat for him and so I would be very surprised if he knew even a rough percentage.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2015, 12:03:52 PM

It depends on how you measure it.

If you want to measure it on "what percentage of files with my name on it result in a conviction" the % would be pretty high, because most files wind up in guilty pleas.  Hell I may never see a file in between the time my name goes on it, and the time the person pleads out.  So I have no idea.

If you want to measure it on "what percentage of files with my name on it set for trial result in a conviction" I again would not really know.  An appreciable % of those don't proceed because the person pleads guilty, or doesn't show for trial, or witnesses don't show.  And while I'm present for those situations, I just don't have a good idea what the numbers look like.

If you want to measure "What percentage of trials that I start result in a conviction", I'm going to guess maybe 60%, but it's a wild-assed guess.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2015, 12:57:11 PM
If you want to measure "What percentage of trials that I start result in a conviction", I'm going to guess maybe 60%, but it's a wild-assed guess.

I suppose that % sounds about right, if you include all the other possible outcomes, like Not Guilty, nolle prosc'd, stets, Alford pleas, outright dismissals, diversionary PBJs, etc.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2015, 02:40:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2015, 12:57:11 PM

I suppose that % sounds about right, if you include all the other possible outcomes, like Not Guilty, nolle prosc'd, stets, Alford pleas, outright dismissals, diversionary PBJs, etc.

Other than "not guilty" I don't understand what any of those other ones are!  :lol:

Once the trial starts, there's really only about three possible outcomes: finding of not guilty, finding of guilty on some or all of the counts, and a judicial "stay of proceedings" because the judge has found some egregious breach of the Accused's charter rights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2015, 02:50:42 PM
Other than "not guilty" I don't understand what any of those other ones are!  :lol:

Oh, all the other procedural bullshit options that a case can come to:  NP is deciding not to pursue the charges at the time of trial, the stet docket is the inactive docket (prosecution declines to pursue the charges at that time, but has one year to open them up again if it wishes), Alford is the plea the defendant can make claiming innocence while admitting that the state has enough evidence to find a guilty verdict, Probation Before Judgement like rehab, community service, etc, etc.

So many different ways of fucking somebody over in America's Penal-Industrial Complex, rather than just being found "Guilty".  LOL, "Penal-Industrial"  MARTI SAYS WHAT