Time to take a stand against the urinal

Started by Sheilbh, February 06, 2015, 06:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

In Italy they call chasing espresso with grappa 'correcting the coffee'. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 06, 2015, 07:53:11 PM
When I was in Italy (or was it Switzerland?  :hmm: ) there were a lot of men's rooms with like this long stainless steel trough thing and you just whizzed into that.

Those are not uncommon over here, though I think tending to concentrate in non-hipsterised boozers.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2015, 07:49:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2015, 07:35:40 PM
I once spoke to a gay American who said that our urinals are the sort that only very gay bars in America have. I don't know if that's true.

The circular kind, where you're all facing one another?
Not all gays are perverts! :o

But the type Cal described, the troughs are pretty common:

I got that picture from a website called 'The Urinals of Pubs of Nottingham', proving there really is no niche too small for someone to start a website about it :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Now that's just fucking gross.  My bodily fluids must stay pure, at least for as long as I'm still around them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Urinal story.

I met a female friend's new boyfriend. He was very lovely and very friendly, if a little bit handsy. But I thought nothing of it - he's very into sport and on the village cricket team and the local rugby team etc. Most importantly he laughs at my jokes whether they deserve it or not.

There was a big group of us and I went to the loo and a couple of seconds later he starts heading there too. So we chat for a little bit and then both line up at the urinal (not one like that above).

My understanding of the etiquette of the urinal is that even if you're talking, just stop for a little while. Maybe pick the stream of your conversation up as you wash your hands. At most keep your nattering as non-involving as possible.

His understanding was different. He wasn't just talking, while I awkwardly responded, but was asking questions and really engaging in a chat. I mostly stared straight ahead but I turned and realised that his head was fully turned. He wasn't looking down. He was rigidly keeping his head straight like a man thinking about how much he shouldn't look at a girl's breasts. He was just staring straight into the side of my head and, later, into my eyes.

It was deeply unsettling. I've talked about this and his handsiness with other male (straight) friends and find they've had similar experiences. It doesn't really matter in the end. He laughs at my jokes.

But now if we're both in the loo together I make a joke about 'needing a shit' and run into the cubicle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

That's that sort of urinal you see in Hillbilly bars.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I don't like it when dudes talk to me at the urinal, but I'll tolerate it.  I'd never initiate a urinal-side conversation myself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2015, 06:57:24 PM
The Guardian.
QuoteIt's time to take a stand against the urinal
Peter Ormerod
The act of public urination has become a trope of hairy masculinity. Why can't we just sit down?
Friday 6 February 2015 13.29 GMT

If you've ever wondered how men achieved their cultural dominance in the world, I'm pretty sure I know what happened. Long ago, the gods disproportionately granted to men positions of power in politics, business, science and the arts – power they still exercise to this day. But there was a cost: they would have their dignity affronted routinely and be expected to conduct one of their most delicately personal acts in public. Yes, that's right: we were lumbered with the urinal.

The thing is, I'd happily trade in my male privilege for a world without them. I'm 35 years old and have never knowingly used one. Now I find such matters phenomenally difficult to discuss, and struggle to utter even the gentlest euphemism concerning the expulsion of bodily waste. But all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to say nothing – and as urinals are evil in porcelain, I feel a duty to let it all out.

My desperation has been prompted by the invention of a urinal attachment to the standard domestic lavatory. It encourages the worst in us men: the indulgence of a certain Neanderthal instinct to consider ourselves different in every way from The Ladies. For the unspoken truth is that women could "enjoy" urinals too if they really wanted to. But quite rightly, they'd rather queue for months than use the things.

Whether trough or bowl, the urinal subjects a man to the most wretched of indignities, to which we have become so inured that any deviation from the norm is considered effete. The urinal is inconsistent with civilisation: there is something barbarous about expecting men to expose themselves and carry out such a tender operation before others, especially while maintaining conversations with ostentatiously unembarrassed neighbours. And don't give me that "it's just a natural bodily function" nonsense: you don't leave the door open when you're in the cubicle, do you? (Do you ... ?)

The act of public urination, a practice encouraged by the urinal, has become a trope of hairy masculinity: it forms part of a key scene in the putative board-sweeper Boyhood, and is something in my experience expected of full-bladdered men at barbecues and so forth. But it's surely the nastiest and grisliest way of affirming one's testosterone levels. Yes, there are times when going al fresco is essential to prevent further humiliation, but I've managed to avoid the eventuality on all but one occasion, our car having had to stop in the Northamptonshire village of, ahem, Weedon.

The existence of the urinal has nothing to do with biological necessity and everything to do with showy manliness. Men: you can do it seated, you know, which is a thousand times more hygienic and gets around the whole seat-up/down business. The Main Drain just encourages bad habits – and, not for the first time, the Germans are way ahead of us. Increasingly, the average boy is taught to be a sitzpinkler, the meaning of which can be inferred. In fact, so advanced are they that a judge over there has just had to consider whether it's even legal for men to do the deed upright.

Yes, it's time to take a stand against the urinal. In fact, the only suitable place for the urinal in the 21st century is behind glass in an art gallery. It's just got to go.

I think he would be horrified if he knew what happens when girls go to the toilets together.

The author should continue to squat to pee. his man card should be pulled too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

They should keep urinals, but put them in stalls.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on February 06, 2015, 07:53:11 PM
When I was in Italy (or was it Switzerland?  :hmm: ) there were a lot of men's rooms with like this long stainless steel trough thing and you just whizzed into that.

I remember the old Winnipeg Arena - it had troughs in the mens rooms.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2015, 10:44:31 PM
They should keep urinals, but put them in stalls.

A lot of them do have little dividers between them.  That is sufficient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."