News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey's Presidential Takeover?

Started by Sheilbh, February 06, 2015, 10:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2015, 03:41:33 PM
I do not think liberalism is necessary to being a Democracy.  A country can be democratic and still be illiberal.  Singapore is an example of this.  The earliest Greek Democracies were not liberal, and early American Democracy would be seem as rather oppressive by our standards.

Do you have a better example than Singapore?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2015, 03:44:28 PM
I do not think liberalism is necessary to being a Democracy.  A country can be democratic and still be illiberal.  Singapore is an example of this.  The earliest Greek Democracies were not liberal, and early American Democracy would be seem as rather oppressive by our standards.

Post Soviet Russia.  The US South from 1870's to 1960's.  South Africa.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

The issue isn't "liberalism" is some wider sense, but something very specific - "liberalism" meaning some system or attitude that guarantees that the winners of elections will exercise restraint in dealing with the losers, so that it makes sense for the losers to give their loyalty to the system rather than rebelling against it.

The examples of South Africa and the US South are useful: South Africa's democracy rather expressly relies for its existence on a guarantee that the majority will not take revenge on the White minority for Apartheid; the US South relied, for years, on a systematic repression of the Black minority - which ended when it became clear that ongoing revolts against the system were a serious possibility, if some measure of liberalism were not imposed.

In short, a "winner takes all" democracy lacking any such notion of liberalism (in the narrow sense) would be difficult to keep stable: the losing minority would have no reason to accept the legitimacy of the system.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2015, 03:52:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2015, 03:44:28 PM

Post Soviet Russia.  The US South from 1870's to 1960's.  South Africa.

Post-Soviet Russia almost immediately fall into totalitarianism.  Those other two states did have liberal values, it is just that having second class citizens based on race is not necessarily inconsistent with that.  Granted there were issues like that coup in Wilmington North Carolina which, as far as I know, is the only time an elected US government was overthrown by force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898

But beyond that...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Er, no.  Putin is not Totalitarian.  North Korea is Totalitarian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2015, 04:15:49 PM

Ok then what is he?

Martinus

Funny stuff: people taking Raz's trolling seriously.

dps

DGuller

Talking about Putin when you talk about the death of Russian democracy is misleading.  Russian democracy barely started and very quickly ended with Yeltsin.  Yeltsin was never going to lose the 1996 election, regardless of how Russian people voted.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2015, 04:20:06 PM

Given that he thinks that drug dealing = "libertarianism," I am surprised anyone gives his postings a second thought.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 09, 2015, 06:11:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2015, 04:20:06 PM

Given that he thinks that drug dealing = "libertarianism," I am surprised anyone gives his postings a second thought.

I'm glad you read that one.  The guy who set it up was a self described libertarian and in his legal defense he described it as a "market experiment".

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 09, 2015, 05:50:03 PM
Talking about Putin when you talk about the death of Russian democracy is misleading.  Russian democracy barely started and very quickly ended with Yeltsin.  Yeltsin was never going to lose the 1996 election, regardless of how Russian people voted.

Note, I did not say "Post Yeltsin Russia".

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2015, 04:17:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2015, 04:15:49 PM

Ok then what is he?

Garden variety corrupt pseudo-democrat, possibly transitioning to straight up dictatorship.

But yeah, Putin wishes he was totalitarian, but he doesn't have that level of control I don't think.

Tonitrus

I think the Russian government is basically run like SPECTRE.  But with less cat stroking.