News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parliament says yes to three-person babies

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2015, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 05, 2015, 08:21:02 AM
I'm just surprised that he's getting so shrill about it- usually, Sheilbh is one of the more even-keeled posters, if prone to some funny theories now and again.  Guess everybody's got a button to push.

Shiv isn't getting shrill about it at all. :mellow:  What's been shrill has been the pile-up, but that's just Languish herd dynamics at play.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 08:22:52 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 05, 2015, 08:21:02 AM
I'm just surprised that he's getting so shrill about it- usually, Sheilbh is one of the more even-keeled posters, if prone to some funny theories now and again.  Guess everybody's got a button to push.

Shiv isn't getting shrill about it at all. :mellow: 

I agree.  He hasn't been able to articulate the reasons for his position yet, but he hasn't been shrill.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Until scientists figure out a way to get a three-person baby out of a threesome, I refuse to find this important.

Why can't science be useful for once?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2015, 11:49:54 AM
Until scientists figure out a way to get a three-person baby out of a threesome, I refuse to find this important.

Why would you want to ruin a threesome with pregnancy? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 08:10:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2015, 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 08:00:28 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 07:53:37 PM
But I don't entirely understand how people can perceive an issue that alters a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up, without the possibility of consent as not prompting ethical concerns.

If that's the concern, then I would say this is certainly less of an ethical issue than say abortion where you are preventing a person and their descendants from even coming into existence. :lol:

Except you are preventing that person from coming into existence.  The person who is coming into existence is something different.

Yeah and the flipside in this instance is that a woman (with said condition) will give birth to an unhealthy child that will likely die. "Thanks, mom, for avoiding modern science?"

Agreed.  But lets not pretend that something fundamental isn't being changed here. 

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 11:54:08 AM

Some folks actually want babies, you know.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2015, 11:56:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 11:54:08 AM

Some folks actually want babies, you know.  :lol:

As a consequence of having a threesome? WTF? Maybe you do it wrong in Canada?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2015, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 08:10:48 PM
Yeah and the flipside in this instance is that a woman (with said condition) will give birth to an unhealthy child that will likely die. "Thanks, mom, for avoiding modern science?"

Agreed.  But lets not pretend that something fundamental isn't being changed here.

It's much more important to mock, ridicule and dismiss those that do.

Tamas

But I don't entirely understand how people can perceive an issue that alters a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up, without the possibility of consent as not prompting ethical concerns.

If that's the concern, then I would say this is certainly less of an ethical issue than say abortion where you are preventing a person and their descendants from even coming into existence. :lol:

Except you are preventing that person from coming into existence.  The person who is coming into existence is something different.

No. The mitochondrion has its own DNA independent of the cell's, and that DNA is inherited unchanged from your mother. There is zero change in the person's genetic makeup.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 05, 2015, 12:14:29 PM

No. The mitochondrion has its own DNA independent of the cell's, and that DNA is inherited unchanged from your mother. There is zero change in the person's genetic makeup.

What you are really saying is there is zero change to the DNA of the nucleus.  Which, at least as far as our limited knowledge of how the mitochondondria interacts with the nucleus takes us, is correct.  But you have to admit that at the very least new mitochondria DNA is being swapped in.   That is the whole point of doing the procedure.  No one can tell us with any certainty what long term affects that might have.  And certainly no one can deny that the child who is eventually born will be different than the child who would otherwise have been born.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2015, 03:51:08 PM
And certainly no one can deny that the child who is eventually born will be different than the child who would otherwise have been born.

Well, of course. The whole point was that you wouldn't end up with a child who would die of an inherited disease.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 03:56:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2015, 03:51:08 PM
And certainly no one can deny that the child who is eventually born will be different than the child who would otherwise have been born.

Well, of course. The whole point was that you wouldn't end up with a child who would die of an inherited disease.

It would be helpful if you paid attention to whom I am responding and not just repeat the argument they have not actually conceded.  Tamas takes the view nothing changes at all.  You at least have the good sense to admit that something is changed but your argument is that the change is for the better.

But on that logic there are a lot of other genetic changes that one could argue should also be permitted.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2015, 04:13:56 PM
But on that logic there are a lot of other genetic changes that one could argue should also be permitted.

Sorry, I can't hear you - I've already slid right down the slope. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 04:18:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2015, 04:13:56 PM

Sorry, I can't hear you - I've already slid right down the slope. :(

It would be a slippery slope argument if no changes were actually being made now.  You have already conceded that changes are being made.  My argument is that the Brits have already crossed a bright line.  Not that we are on the slope toward crossing it.

garbon

The slope is that terrible things will go down like we will only want affable, smart, tall, blond, thin blue eyed heterosexual cisgendered children.