And we're back!

Main Menu

Parliament says yes to three-person babies

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2015, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 12:49:01 PM
Sorry, I've been confused as to your position throughout the tread. -_-

Actually, his position has pretty consistently been "Euros are goofs who care more about raising tomatos than babies."  Nobody said his position had to be salient to the topic. :P
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 09:42:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 09:38:45 AM
So? No one not yet born gets to consent ever on matters regarding birth, prenatal care/treatments, whether or not they are actually born, etc.
Yep. It's an ethical problem with all sorts of issues, but I think more so with genetics and even more with inheritable genetic changes.

I still have no idea what the ethical issue is.  I guess it is one of those things that is an ethical issue by definition.  I'm completely unconcerned about those, as I don't accept that definition.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2015, 10:36:26 PM
Though I liked this from one political reporter:
Paul Waugh @paulwaugh  ·  12h 12 hours ago
RiposteOfTheDay. Evangelical Tory MP in No lobby: "I'm voting for Jesus." 2nd Tory MP in Aye lobby: "But didn't He have three parents?"

:lol:

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 09:42:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 09:38:45 AM
So? No one not yet born gets to consent ever on matters regarding birth, prenatal care/treatments, whether or not they are actually born, etc.
Yep. It's an ethical problem with all sorts of issues, but I think more so with genetics and even more with inheritable genetic changes.

I still have no idea what the ethical issue is.  I guess it is one of those things that is an ethical issue by definition.  I'm completely unconcerned about those, as I don't accept that definition.

What ethical issues or concerns? I believe this has been asked several times in this thread.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Sheilbh said it makes him uncomfortable, so it's an ethical issue. ;)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 01:31:54 PM

Apparently it's an ethical issue because:

1) The baby's genetic identity might be modified.  But not really, since it's been established that's not a possible outcome of this procedure.
2) The unborn baby isn't in a position to provide consent for the nonexistent changes being made to its person.
3) Not enough safety studies.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 04, 2015, 04:05:24 PM
I'll come back to this thread tomorrow.

But I don't entirely understand how people can perceive an issue that alters a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up, without the possibility of consent as not prompting ethical concerns. This is germline gene therapy. Even if you support it absolutely and would even support similar therapy (which I believe theoretically could be done) to treat cystic fibrosis, I don't see how you can not treat that as activating ethical concerns. You can say they're outweighed by the benefit but they exist and I doubt they've been explored in 90 minutes.

In addition there are questions of parenthood and the rights of the child which I don't think can just be dismissed. Some have raised the issue that future mitochondrial replacement treatments being limited to creating boys so any possible adverse effects won't be passed on which raises a whole other set of concerns.

I'm not necessarily entirely opposed, but I'm not sure it's clear that it's fully safe given the response of other species. I don't think the UK should do this alone, I think there needs to be a broader international discussion and consensus which would include those ethical questions.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 07:53:37 PM
But I don't entirely understand how people can perceive an issue that alters a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up, without the possibility of consent as not prompting ethical concerns.

If that's the concern, then I would say this is certainly less of an ethical issue than say abortion where you are preventing a person and their descendants from even coming into existence. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 08:00:28 PM
But I don't entirely understand how people can perceive an issue that alters a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up, without the possibility of consent as not prompting ethical concerns.

If that's the concern, then I would say this is certainly less of an ethical issue than say abortion where you are preventing a person and their descendants from even coming into existence. :lol:

Except you are preventing that person from coming into existence.  The person who is coming into existence is something different.

Sheilbh

I think there are ethical issues with abortion. In general we've tried to create a pragmatic framework for it, which has broad public support.

But I find abortion difficult. The only positions that I find mentally acceptable are the extremes, but the one I support is the pragmatic framework that we currently have plus or minus a few weeks.

However the difference surely is pre-meditation.

Edit: And as CC says autonomy.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2015, 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 08:00:28 PM

Except you are preventing that person from coming into existence.  The person who is coming into existence is something different.

Yeah and the flipside in this instance is that a woman (with said condition) will give birth to an unhealthy child that will likely die. "Thanks, mom, for avoiding modern science?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 04, 2015, 04:05:24 PM
I'll come back to this thread tomorrow.

But I don't entirely understand how people can perceive an issue that alters a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up, without the possibility of consent as not prompting ethical concerns. This is germline gene therapy. Even if you support it absolutely and would even support similar therapy (which I believe theoretically could be done) to treat cystic fibrosis, I don't see how you can not treat that as activating ethical concerns. You can say they're outweighed by the benefit but they exist and I doubt they've been explored in 90 minutes.

In addition there are questions of parenthood and the rights of the child which I don't think can just be dismissed. Some have raised the issue that future mitochondrial replacement treatments being limited to creating boys so any possible adverse effects won't be passed on which raises a whole other set of concerns.

I'm not necessarily entirely opposed, but I'm not sure it's clear that it's fully safe given the response of other species. I don't think the UK should do this alone, I think there needs to be a broader international discussion and consensus which would include those ethical questions.

No one chooses which sperm out of millions inseminates the egg that becomes "them," and yet this determines the genetic makeup of the person and their descendents.  Is this also an ethical concern for you?

I think that this is a made-up dilemma.  Parliament could debate 90 hours and be no better-informed than after 90 minutes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 08:22:32 PMParliament could debate 90 hours and be no better-informed than after 90 minutes.

But we might be.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DontSayBanana

We've actually been pretty well informed on this.  Sheilbh's taking issue with the alteration of DNA, and is absolutely refusing to acknowledge that mitochondrial DNA is a completely separate and distinct set of DNA.  He keeps reminding us that it "alters[sic] a person's and their descendants' genetic make-up" which is disingenuous, at best.  Only the mitochondria would be altered.

It sounds like Sheilbh's advocating the position that all parts of a human are completely interconnected and thus sacrosanct, when it just isn't true, but he won't admit that the alternate position exists.  Gene therapy specifically for the mitochondria more closely resembles maintenance on the gut bacteria than an abortion.

I'm just surprised that he's getting so shrill about it- usually, Sheilbh is one of the more even-keeled posters, if prone to some funny theories now and again.  Guess everybody's got a button to push.
Experience bij!