And we're back!

Main Menu

Parliament says yes to three-person babies

Started by jimmy olsen, February 03, 2015, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 11:43:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 04, 2015, 11:37:20 AM
The alternative is saying "we could help you, but instead we are letting you die"

Actually, that's not the alternative at all, as garbon intimated that we're dealing with gene therapy with an entity that cannot give consent.

You are old so you have a pass for fearing technological advance, ergo I am not debating this with you :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 10:02:30 AM
There are alternatives such as genetic screening, abortion, IVF treatment. I don't think there's necessarily a right to have a baby that's biologically yours.

You are the last person I'd expect to drop the civil union argument- your argument is, after all, akin to saying that gays have no right to marriage because they have a functional equivalent in civil unions.  IVF and surrogacy are functionally equivalent, but they are not biological reproduction (and I couldn't disagree more strongly about the right to a genetic lineage).

No identifiable traits are gained from the third parent, BTW, so for the umpteenth time, your argument about "modification" is a complete and total red herring.  There is an ethical issue at hand here, yes, but you've been dancing around it- the issue is actually how we define a "parent."  If a collective pool of traits from which we obtain a new individual is your line, then no, the third party is not a parent, neither biologically nor socially.

Do you also believe organ transplant recipients have a right to track down their respective donors?  Or that the transplant somehow turns the recipient into a chimera of themselves and the donor?  Because that's the kind of absolutism you seem to be pushing in this thread.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on February 04, 2015, 11:51:27 AM
You are old so you have a pass for fearing technological advance, ergo I am not debating this with you :P

I may not have done it very long, but I picked up a couple things about the post-doctoral genetic engineering experimental environment last year.  mtDNA is a bit more than a "battery", beet boy.  :P

The Minsky Moment

So the objections seem to be:

1) safety/need more time - possible but that just means revisiting a couple years from now
2) Lack of consent from a being not yet existence that absent the procedure will never come into existence.  This doesn't seem that compelling.
3). Slippery slope
4) just doesn't seem right somehow.

Am I missing anything?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

5) Jesus is against it...possibly hypocritically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

The alternative is saying "we could help you, but instead we are letting you die"

Actually, that's not the alternative at all, as garbon intimated that we're dealing with gene therapy with an entity that cannot give consent.

Why should inability to grant consent block an unborn entity from receiving gene therapy but not block abortion of the unborn entity? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 12:09:22 PM

Why should inability to grant consent block an unborn entity from receiving gene therapy but not block abortion of the unborn entity? :huh:

Because science is spooky.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

For the record, this particular technique is a variation of a similar previous one that was already used for human reproduction in the US back in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1312708.stm

The Brain

We should return to a simpler time. Subsistence farming is where it's at. Science is evil.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2015, 07:13:24 PM
I really hope the slippery slope concerns are true. All hail the genetic superhumans of the future!  :worthy:

What valid slippery slope concerns are there that havent been tainted by people watching/reading too much Sci-fi books or put forward by religious freaks and their moon gods. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Why are you asking me a question when I'm goofing on Tamas' silly ass "we could help you, but instead we are letting you die" comment?

Siege

Quote from: Ideologue on February 03, 2015, 07:24:17 PM
QuoteThe debate in Commons also repeatedly struggled with whether the move would constitute "genetic modification".

Why?  Is the English and Welsh House of Commons as stupid as our own legislature?  Of course it's not "genetic modification."  The nuclear DNA is left untouched.

It's a good thing, but it's a baby step--barely a step at all--toward creating better humans.

We don't need to create better humans.
I am already a better human.
What we need is a global free market economy so we can develop technology, and nanotechnology in specific, to its fullest potential.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2015, 12:03:32 PM
So the objections seem to be:

1) safety/need more time - possible but that just means revisiting a couple years from now
2) Lack of consent from a being not yet existence that absent the procedure will never come into existence.  This doesn't seem that compelling.
3). Slippery slope
4) just doesn't seem right somehow.

Am I missing anything?

All I mentioned was, had the subject of the discussion been a genetically modified tomato* instead, England would burn over the ethical and moral discourse regarding the potential ramifications of the future of the human race.  Because Europeans are kinda goofy that way.

*As opposed to Tamas, a genetically unmodified tomato.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 12:36:19 PM

Why are you asking me a question when I'm goofing on Tamas' silly ass "we could help you, but instead we are letting you die" comment?

Sorry, I've been confused as to your position throughout the tread. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.