News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Greens: Humanity's greatest enemy

Started by Sheilbh, February 02, 2015, 06:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 08:50:44 PM
They're doing better in the sense their standards of living were raised from intolerable barbarity to slightly less intolerable barbarity.

I asked for an explanation of the relationship between the two ideas, not an elaboration.

QuoteMost of the gains from globalization did not go to them, much as most of the gains from globalization in the early 20th century did not accrue to the people at large, either.

That's interesting.  How much of the gains did they get?

QuoteI'm really excited to see if this 1)gets passed and 2)works in Switzerland.

Pretty sure they already voted it down.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2015, 08:58:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 08:50:44 PM
I'm not anti-human, but it's beyond obvious that 700 billion kilograms of biomass that thinks is going to cut deep into the carriage capacity of our shitty planet.
Nah. We'll be fine. Alternately before it's a problem we'll have blown the world up anyway.

Now, now.  The effects of nuclear warfare have been greatly exaggerated by its opponents.

QuoteI'm really excited to see if this 1)gets passed and 2)works in Switzerland.  It's clear that this is eventually going to become a huge necessity as the 21st century continues, but the problem is timing.  We're not quite at the point where mass technological unemployment demands it, but we might be rapidly approaching the point where the ongoing automation revolution can, in fact, feed it.
I think Switzerland voted it down. But I agree I think we're nearing the point where it'll become necessary. Until then targeted benefits are the better option, but if automation works then we should have a basic income rather than ever-proliferating bullshit jobs.

:unsure: I believe the referendum is being held this year.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Everything about Britain is built on predatory capitalism and globalization.  If you want to roll that back, you end up with sheep and subsistence farming.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

I think this green party is here to discredit all future 'green' policies.

Me I'd never vote for them, says the granola eating cyclist who's in favour of existing nuclear power, more nuclear power and probably some local fracking too in the short term.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 08:24:50 PM
Yeah, if you cherry-picked a lot of things I say (cough JACOB cough), you'd find a lot of departure from the crappy orthodoxy of modern leftism, just because I believe in economic autarky, the death penalty, a surveillance state, soft eugenics, and escalating directly to nuclear combat when threatened.  My Southern accent doesn't help.

Even to someone who doesn't farm cherries for a living, it certainly sounds fascistic, whatever accent is used.

QuoteThey're absolutely right that in absolute numbers, assuming no revolutionary technological change, global GDP has to be voluntarily reduced by a marked amount, although more accurately the human population has to be reduced by a marked amount, through (one hopes) voluntary dieback.  The alternative is a GDP reduction of around 100%.

Obviously, Communism is vastly superior: the rationally-run command economy would ultimately come to the same conclusion and establish Five Year Plans that would effectively do that, without the hippie bullshit.

Whatever one can say about Communism, it certainly isn't about achieving any of the goals of paragraph 1, which is one of the few merits of the system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Yeah, and that's why Beijing is an unlivable hellhole--even by your New Yorker standards.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, I'm not a fascist.  I'm not even really totalitarian, since I don't advocate for any kind of ideological indoctrination, coerced political orthodoxy, or state interference with speech.  So :blurgh:
Kinemalogue

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 10:23:10 PM
Yeah, and that's why Beijing is an unlivable hellhole--even by your New Yorker standards.

There are pros and cons.  The air pollution and traffic congestion are regrettable.  But there are good reasons why more than 10 million people live there, many of them expats.  There is money to be made, for starters. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 10:24:42 PM
Anyway, I'm not a fascist.  I'm not even really totalitarian, since I don't advocate for any kind of ideological indoctrination, coerced political orthodoxy, or state interference with speech.  So :blurgh:

I favor rounding up people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

A notable omission from my list of things I don't advocate. :)
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 10:48:15 PM
A notable omission from my list of things I don't advocate. :)

I'd spare you Ide.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 02, 2015, 10:46:49 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2015, 10:24:42 PM

I favor rounding up people.

Doesn't the typical American diet do that already?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on February 02, 2015, 10:53:07 PM

Pretty funny observation from someone who's superior cardiovascular health is going to come in real handy when he becomes some lorry's hood ornament at 40kph. 
FOUR WHEELS GOOD TWO WHEELS BAD

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 02, 2015, 10:58:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 02, 2015, 10:53:07 PM

Pretty funny observation from someone who's superior cardiovascular health is going to come in real handy when he becomes some lorry's hood ornament at 40kph. 
FOUR WHEELS GOOD TWO WHEELS BAD

Good night CdM, don't every get out of the right side of the bed.  :hug: