Christie clarifies comments on measles vaccine, calls for ‘balance’

Started by garbon, February 02, 2015, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:34:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:10:12 PM
Well, I shouldn't speak for him - but I don't think g was saying that hysteria around that was a positive thing, just that it might be harmful to suggest that there is never anything bad that can happen after taking a vaccine. Such lies only feed into the hysteria.

OK, fine...there's a possibility that there can be a negative reaction;  we know that, we have always known that.  And now that that acknowledgement is out of the way, and those individuals that need to claim victory with their pucker-tight grip on semantics for semantics' sake have claimed it, can we please resume our established national policy of successful public health practices already in progress?

I don't know. I think Jacob would stand out as someone who didn't seem to be aware of that but was following along the lines of "vaccines are always good."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 02:26:47 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:25:34 PM
Given that I have repeatably argued against allowing the bullshit rhetoric/hype to influence our decision-making, I am kinda surprised that you are the only person who seems to get it. 

I think that an assessment of the harm caused by the vaccinations versus harm prevented by them favors the use of most vaccines, but not all.  The smallpox vaccine, for instance, is contraindicated in all but a very few cases.  Why?  Because the individual's potential harm from receiving the vaccine, while low, is still higher than the potential benefit of receiving it.  I have no idea why this idea is so difficult for languishites (including some who are generally pretty bright, when not engaged on topics they are so passionate about) to understand.

Perhaps the issue is your communication style?

It does seem to over-estimate the audience here.  Maybe I have a hard time transitioning from discussing issues with high school sophomores and then stepping things down so that Languishites can get those points as well.  :shrug:  I can live with it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Yes, perhaps the fact that you have no ex-cathedra authority here is hampering your style?

grumbler

OK, fine...there's a possibility that there can be a negative reaction;  we know that, we have always known that.  And now that that acknowledgement is out of the way, and those individuals that need to claim victory with their pucker-tight grip on semantics for semantics' sake have claimed it, can we please resume our established national policy of successful public health practices already in progress?

I wanna preserve this one for the Sore Loser Hall of Fame!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2015, 02:43:07 PM
Yes, perhaps the fact that you have no ex-cathedra authority here is hampering your style?

I doubt it.  I don't have ex-cathedra authority anywhere, so here is no different.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:41:00 PM

It does seem to over-estimate the audience here.  Maybe I have a hard time transitioning from discussing issues with high school sophomores and then stepping things down so that Languishites can get those points as well.  :shrug:  I can live with it.

You're one of the forum superbosses.  Once a poster has managed to unlock Garbon the Cunt and Hurricane Berkut, they get to you.  Gotta press SAVE before entering a grumbler thread.   

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:46:40 PM

You're one of the forum superbosses.  Once a poster has managed to unlock Garbon the Cunt and Hurricane Berkut, they get to you.  Gotta press SAVE before entering a grumbler thread.   

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:46:40 PM

I'm sorry but I think CC is ahead me on membership to the troika.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:53:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:51:13 PM
I'm sorry but I think CC is ahead me on membership to the troika.

CC is not a superboss. 

And I'm the nicest member of my immediate family.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:43:12 PM

I wanna preserve this one for the Sore Loser Hall of Fame!  :lol:

The scientists and researchers over at HHS must be comforted by the fact that, of the 1-in-600,000 chance of an allergic reaction to a vaccine, somebody's got a vice-like grip on that 1 event and goddammit, he's not letting go of it for shit.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:25:34 PM
I have no idea why this idea is so difficult for languishites (including some who are generally pretty bright, when not engaged on topics they are so passionate about) to understand.
Could be your method of communicating is making people defensive rather than appreciative of the probably very good points you're making.  Just a thought.  :hmm:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points