Christie clarifies comments on measles vaccine, calls for ‘balance’

Started by garbon, February 02, 2015, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The comment on the TTIP is also confusing.  First how has Obama been ineffective as a negotiator?  Second isn't the implication that Obama is letting the Yuros walk all over him - why would he make that point while in Europe?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Politician panders to ignorant cretins by embracing anti-scientific position. Film at 11.

Next thing we know, we will have a politician professing a belief in a deity.

MadImmortalMan

Christie got unpopular in the GOP as soon as he started showing he could be reasonable.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2015, 01:35:14 PM
The comment on the TTIP is also confusing.  First how has Obama been ineffective as a negotiator?  Second isn't the implication that Obama is letting the Yuros walk all over him - why would he make that point while in Europe?
Christie should read how Europeans see TTIP. The general notion here is that the Americans are walking all over us...

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 02, 2015, 12:18:02 PM
No...that's a pretty fucking stupid thing to say, man.

QuoteTABLE 13–1.
Comparison of Twentieth Century Annual Morbidity* and Current Morbidity of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases of Children in the United States

DISEASE                      TWENTIETH CENTURY ANNUAL MORBIDITY              2000†                     PERCENTAGE  DECREASE
Smallpox                                       48,164                                                 0                           100
Diphtheria                                     175,885                                                4                           99.99
Measles                                        503,282                                                81                          99.98
Mumps                                         152,209                                                323                         99.80
Pertussis                                      147,271                                                6755                       95.40
Polio (paralytic)                              16,316                                                0                              100
Rubella                                          47,745                                                152                          99.70
Congenital rubella syndrome                823                                                7                            99.10
Tetanus                                           1314                                                 26                           98.00
Haemophilus influenzae type b         20,000                                               167                         99.10

*Typical average during the 3 years before vaccine licensure.
†Provisional data

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/guides-pubs/downloads/vacc_mandates_chptr13.pdf
Wow, if there was ever a successful policy it must be this. Which other policy has a 99+% success rate? You must be really stupid to be against this. 

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on February 02, 2015, 03:12:19 PM
You must be really stupid to be against this. 

there's a 100% correlation between people receiving the vaccine and dying later in their life.  Scary ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2015, 03:18:42 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 02, 2015, 03:12:19 PM
You must be really stupid to be against this. 

there's a 100% correlation between people receiving the vaccine and dying later in their life.  Scary ;)
There are millions alive that got the vaccine. For all we know, one of them could be the first immortal.  :P

Martinus

I wish people who refuse to vaccinate their children were summarily executed. Do you guys know any idiots like that personally?

MadImmortalMan

Admiral Yi

I had one karaoke buddy, an ex-stripper who married a dot-head from the Iowa Writers' Workshop, who was arguing with her hubby in favor of not vaccinating.  Don't know what they settled on.  My guess is she gave in.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017