News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Public defender arrested for resisting arrest.

Started by Berkut, January 29, 2015, 12:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Well, maybe there is some legal detail here that a simple layman doesn't understand, but to arrest someone for resisting arrest, there would need to be another charge to warrant said arrest for them to resist.

She wasn't being arrested for anything when he said he was going to arrest her for resisting arrest. The charge, under plain English, cannot stand on its own. I could certianly see it in conunction with some other charge of course. Like, you are being arrested for pissing on the sidewalk, and you resist THAT, so now you get another charge.

But she was not doing anything he objected to other than not letting him take pictures. Is taking a picture of her client an arrest such that not letting him do so is resisting it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 01:07:58 PM
Well, maybe there is some legal detail here that a simple layman doesn't understand, but to arrest someone for resisting arrest, there would need to be another charge to warrant said arrest for them to resist.

She wasn't being arrested for anything when he said he was going to arrest her for resisting arrest. The charge, under plain English, cannot stand on its own. I could certianly see it in conunction with some other charge of course. Like, you are being arrested for pissing on the sidewalk, and you resist THAT, so now you get another charge.

But she was not doing anything he objected to other than not letting him take pictures. Is taking a picture of her client an arrest such that not letting him do so is resisting it?

Apparently, in Canada, you don't have to be resisting arrest to get arrested for resisting arrest, on account of s. 129(a) allowing arrests for resisting arrest when one isn't resisting anything.

In California, I doubt that this is true.  If she were to be arrested for, say, obstructing justice, I'd still see it as a stupid arrest, but not one so moronic or damaging to the reputation of the police.

Turns out that she was apparently released after an hour because the arresting officer failed to show up to file a complaint.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2015, 01:06:44 PM
I suspect BB's not far off and that you're being difficult for the sake of being difficult.  :hmm:

I suspect that this was a stupid arrest, and that BB's defense of it is motivated not by his conviction that it is a proper arrest, but by his conviction that he has to support The Man in all cases where the competence of The man is called into question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

In plain English, "resisting arrest" does not specify who's arrest is being resisted.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2015, 01:16:06 PM
I suspect that this was a stupid arrest, and that BB's defense of it is motivated not by his conviction that it is a proper arrest, but by his conviction that he has to support The Man in all cases where the competence of The man is called into question.

He's not really defending it though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2015, 01:16:42 PM

In plain English, "resisting arrest" does not specify who's arrest is being resisted.

So what arrest was she resisting then?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2015, 01:14:02 PM
Turns out that she was apparently released after an hour because the arresting officer failed to show up to file a complaint.

There needs to be some kind of consequence for this - the police cannot be allowed to imprison people simply to get them out of their way, then "not file a complaint" and call it a day.

If there are grounds for charging her, then charge her. If there are not, then what the officer did is potentially criminal.

This reminds me of the New Orleans cops who arrested the football official.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 01:23:59 PM

Like I said, the dude who's photo the copper was trying to take.

KRonn

She must have had a good Public Defender working on her case....   ;)

derspiess

I bet she used the "Do you know who I am??" defense.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2015, 12:57:29 PM
I think we should wait for Martinus to weigh in, and see what other foreigners have to say about another country's criminal justice processes as well.

Well, you know what I think about cops. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2015, 12:57:29 PM
I think we should wait for Martinus to weigh in, and see what other foreigners have to say about another country's criminal justice processes as well.

Well, you know what I think about cops. :P

Tackle 'em?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2015, 01:26:50 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 01:23:59 PM

Like I said, the dude who's photo the copper was trying to take.

So taking someone's picture is arresting them? Is this really the justification you are going with?

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 01:25:38 PM

There needs to be some kind of consequence for this - the police cannot be allowed to imprison people simply to get them out of their way, then "not file a complaint" and call it a day.

If there are grounds for charging her, then charge her. If there are not, then what the officer did is potentially criminal.

This reminds me of the New Orleans cops who arrested the football official.

But discretion in charging is an important part of policework.  It happens all the time.  Police come upon the scene of what appears to be a crime.  They arrest the person who appears to be committing a crime.  Then they investigate further only to determine that no crime was in fact being committed.

And there are consequences.  There are police complaint procedures in every jurisdiction.  In addition to that, a person can file a civil lawsuit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

The smart cop does it out in the parking lot.  But what the fuck do I know.