Widespread Fish Consumption Drives Fears of Empty Oceans by 2050

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2015, 06:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2015, 01:03:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
I think people confuse the dodo with the passenger pigeon (which was eaten in vast numbers)

I bet the passenger pigeon was delicious.

Like Gerald Ford.  :(

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on January 29, 2015, 01:44:13 PM
I'm amazed that a bird as widespread as passenger pigeons were able to be made extinct by humans. It's like trying to make sparrows or robins extinct - I think it'd be damn hard to do. But I think certain traits of the pigeons made it easier to trap/capture large numbers, probably that they flew in large flocks and were captured en masse.

Supposedly they were very social birds, to the point where if the flock got small enough they'd just stop breeding.  And with mass deforestation in the late 1800s (which has now been replenished, and then some) their habitat got demolished.  Also, they were pretty easy to hunt.

They have a big exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo here that explains it all and lays on the guilt trip.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

To celebrate this thread I just ate a tuna and salmon salad.

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2015, 12:36:56 PM
Timiverse,

What a hellish existence. Full of spelling errors and reposted articles.

the suicide rate would be huge.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 02:08:08 PM

Salmon is mostly farmed these days.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2015, 04:01:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 02:08:08 PM

Salmon is mostly farmed these days.

I shop at a good spot that sells wild salmon.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Not really news. The rising price of eel in Japan and cod in the UK have been recurring news stories for donkies of years. Still worrying.
Science needs to get going with producing vat grown fish- has to be easier than vat grown steak, right? maybe? no basis but I hope so...
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on January 29, 2015, 10:05:58 AM
Timmay, not that crap again.
Another lefty conspiracy theory.
It's simple math.

There are X number of fish in the world. If they are killed faster than they reproduce than they will go extinct.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2015, 04:33:33 PM
Not really news. The rising price of eel in Japan and cod in the UK have been recurring news stories for donkies of years. Still worrying.
Science needs to get going with producing vat grown fish- has to be easier than vat grown steak, right? maybe? no basis but I hope so...

Do you measure years in donkeys?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I'm wondering about this conspiracy theory business. Who stands to benefit from the world running out of fish?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2015, 09:06:28 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 29, 2015, 04:33:33 PM

Do you measure years in donkeys?

Since a pony is 25 then a donkey's probably about 12.5, so Tyr is suggesting a minimum of 25, perhaps 37.5 or more years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2015, 09:10:40 PM
I'm wondering about this conspiracy theory business. Who stands to benefit from the world running out of fish?  :hmm:

The Joker, or perhaps Batman is behind it?  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"