Widespread Fish Consumption Drives Fears of Empty Oceans by 2050

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2015, 06:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I need my Omega acids. And by 2050 I will probably have 10 or 15 more years to live, tops. So fuck off, Tim.

Jaron

It would be oddly satisfying if we somehow managed to EAT an entire species.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Monoriu

Quote from: Jaron on January 29, 2015, 02:23:18 AM

When I watched Jaws, I kept thinking of eating shark's fin. 

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on January 29, 2015, 02:23:18 AM

Some posters could probably manage that by themselves.

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2015, 02:29:40 AM
Like the dodo?

IIRC, we didn't really even eat the dodo, supposedly they didn't taste very good.

Mostly just killed them because people were bored, or were killed by introduced predators.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Siege

Timmay, not that crap again.
Another lefty conspiracy theory.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 09:26:53 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2015, 02:29:40 AM
Like the dodo?

IIRC, we didn't really even eat the dodo, supposedly they didn't taste very good.

Mostly just killed them because people were bored, or were killed by introduced predators.
I think people confuse the dodo with the passenger pigeon (which was eaten in vast numbers)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on January 29, 2015, 09:26:53 AM

They may not have been considered a delicacy, but the remoteness of their habitat made them an acceptable meal for hungry sailors.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2015, 08:33:36 PM
Most of the world is not a well developed, low corruption, first world western nation like Canada.

Ah, the well-developed, low corruption, First World Western nation that destroyed its own cod fisheries.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2015, 08:33:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2015, 08:16:37 PM
Certainly there are fish stocks that have been over fished and need management but others, like our salmon runs, have had some record numbers in the last few years.  Not so sure about this article.
Most of the world is not a well developed, low corruption, first world western nation like Canada.

They are fishing like there is no tomorrow.

Frankly, the risk of acidification of the oceans is a far greater risk than fisherman from non developed countries.

grumbler

I thought that, in the Timiverse, we were all going to be killed by Ebola long before 2050.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
I think people confuse the dodo with the passenger pigeon (which was eaten in vast numbers)

I bet the passenger pigeon was delicious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2015, 01:03:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 29, 2015, 10:07:10 AM

I bet the passenger pigeon was delicious.
I'm amazed that a bird as widespread as passenger pigeons were able to be made extinct by humans. It's like trying to make sparrows or robins extinct - I think it'd be damn hard to do. But I think certain traits of the pigeons made it easier to trap/capture large numbers, probably that they flew in large flocks and were captured en masse.