News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When Do They Start Looking All The Same?

Started by Queequeg, June 16, 2009, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Probably the worst thread title I can think of, but I started thinking after reading James Fallow's blog.  Fallows has spent the last 4 years in China writing for The Atlantic, and in that time he has constantly heard that he looks like George Bush.  Here is a picture of James Fallows.

I don't think anyone on this board would ever think that he really resembles, let alone is the spitting image, of George Bush, but the vast majority of Chinese People will go for a lot of their lives seeing only a couple of honest-to-god Caucasians, and maybe a few more on TV.  How are they supposed to tell the difference? 

So here's a two part question. 

Firstly, do any general group of people (say, Vietnamese, or maybe even East Asians, or maybe Native Americans and Mexicans) look a like to you?  Could you confuse a random Mexican person for, say, a Sioux Indian?  Or various African groups? Does a person look "Korean", "Japanese", "Mongolian" or "Siberian" to you or just "Hairy Asian", or maybe just generic "East Asian"?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

Maybe he has similar mannerisms/voice inflection/etc. Sometimes those things are just as telling as facial features.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

DontSayBanana

In dim lighting and from a bit above or below, I could see there being some resemblance. Also, our facial recognition tends to be a bit primitive, so with a low sample in Caucasians, you might be onto something.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

I and the other teachers had a lot trouble identifying a trio of Chinese girls at the school I student taught at. They wore their hair the same length, and wore similar styles which made it really difficult.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2009, 07:35:11 PM
I and the other teachers had a lot trouble identifying a trio of Chinese girls at the school I student taught at. They wore their hair the same length, and wore similar styles which made it really difficult.
Racist!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2009, 07:39:23 PM
Racist!
Not being CdM I hadn't had daily interactions with teenage Asian girls before this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Or with girls of any ethnicity, for that matter.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2009, 07:45:40 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2009, 07:39:23 PM
Racist!
Not being CdM I hadn't had daily interactions with teenage Asian girls before this.
Great, now all asian girls are whore. keep digging!

:p I don't think i ever met a group who i thought all looked a like. Sure, i can't tell if someone is vietnamese or chinese, but i can tell individuals apart.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2009, 07:45:40 PM
Hood rats, Tim. Seedy's MO is hood rats. :contract:
Experience bij!

PDH

Quote from: HVC on June 16, 2009, 07:51:32 PM
:pinchL
It was coming in over the middle of the plate, I HAD to hit it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Alcibiades

Asian women... I think If one came over introduced herself, and then blended back into a crowd of Asian women her age... I couldn't find her again.

Other than that, no.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on June 16, 2009, 05:50:42 PM
I don't think anyone on this board would ever think that he really resembles,

I can see it.

I think the most generic-looking group of people is probably Hollywood starlets. Flaws add variety.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?