News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the word "infidel" insulting?

Started by Martinus, January 21, 2015, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Scipio on January 21, 2015, 04:49:18 PM
Heretics are people who nominally believe in a particular faith, with specific deviations from the norm. Heathens are those who in general lack religious faith and more specifically do not belong to any recognized religion. Infidels are those who specifically abjure a faith, rather than adhere to a faith.

So, to me, an Eastern Orthodox Christian, a Nestorian is a heretic, Martinus is a heathen, and Malthus is an infidel vis a vis Christianity (and possible Judaism- how nominally Jew-ish are you, Malthus?).

Don't agree with the second definition - from a Christian perspective, what is a Hindu? I would say "heathen" (though the use may be insulting) as a Hindu isn't a believer in the same god as the Christian.

Jews in most sects don't recon Jewishness by belief. I'm a 'bad Jew' because I don't follow Jewish rituals, not because I don't believe in the Jewish god.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2015, 04:57:25 PM
Quote from: Scipio on January 21, 2015, 04:49:18 PM
Heretics are people who nominally believe in a particular faith, with specific deviations from the norm. Heathens are those who in general lack religious faith and more specifically do not belong to any recognized religion. Infidels are those who specifically abjure a faith, rather than adhere to a faith.

So, to me, an Eastern Orthodox Christian, a Nestorian is a heretic, Martinus is a heathen, and Malthus is an infidel vis a vis Christianity (and possible Judaism- how nominally Jew-ish are you, Malthus?).

Don't agree with the second definition - from a Christian perspective, what is a Hindu? I would say "heathen" (though the use may be insulting) as a Hindu isn't a believer in the same god as the Christian.

Jews in most sects don't recon Jewishness by belief. I'm a 'bad Jew' because I don't follow Jewish rituals, not because I don't believe in the Jewish god.  :D
Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2015, 04:57:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2015, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:39:53 PM
It could also be a code for being in a gay neighbourhood of SF.

:hmm:

I think you really only have The Castro in SF. There is a gay strip in SoMa and plenty of lesbians in Bernal Heights but it would probably be a mistake to call those gay neighborhoods.

In-Fidel - > Fidel Castro - > in Castro.  :Embarrass:

Ah I see. I think that's too convoluted. :P

Also from my line of reasoning it should be "in the gay neighborhood of SF." -_-

Yeah. If there is one English language mistake I make fairly often, it's misusing the/a. Unless I proofread the text before sending I always make a few of those. :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2015, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:39:53 PM
It could also be a code for being in a gay neighbourhood of SF.

:hmm:

I think you really only have The Castro in SF. There is a gay strip in SoMa and plenty of lesbians in Bernal Heights but it would probably be a mistake to call those gay neighborhoods.

In-Fidel - > Fidel Castro - > in Castro.  :Embarrass:

I lol'd. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 03:33:20 PM
This is about the word "kuffar" which I understand is Arabic for "infidel". Would you say it is insulting/offensive or is it just a description of a fact from the perspective of a believer?

I'm curious at Languish opinion. :)
it is meant to be insulting.  I am not insulted because I am a non believer, but others could be offended.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

Infidel = infidelity, a negative trait, therefore infidel is offensive.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Siege

11B4V

What we got here is a Crusader, caught in the vanity of his own religion.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 05:25:34 PM

Siegy's got it right--the term implies apostasy, not just non-belief, and is intended as an insult.  OTOH, Muslims seem to often misuse it to apply to non-Muslims.  So I wouldn't be insulted if a Muslim were to call me an infidel--I've never been a Muslim, so I'd find someone accusing me of having fallen away from that faith inaccurate, not insulting.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on January 27, 2015, 01:26:16 PM

Siegy's got it right--the term implies apostasy, not just non-belief, and is intended as an insult.  OTOH, Muslims seem to often misuse it to apply to non-Muslims.  So I wouldn't be insulted if a Muslim were to call me an infidel--I've never been a Muslim, so I'd find someone accusing me of having fallen away from that faith inaccurate, not insulting.

I think Muslims tend to use "kuffir" rather than "infidel".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2015, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: dps on January 27, 2015, 01:26:16 PM

I think Muslims tend to use "kuffir" rather than "infidel".

The Muslims I know tend to use the word "tall".

Jacob

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 03:36:04 PM
Would you be insulted if someone were to call you a Goy?

Not really. And for the record I don't find infidel/kuffar offensive either. For me it's the same as me, as a non-religious person, calling religious persons naive. Some people apparently do find it offensive, though. I am just curious what Languish thinks.
Kaffir/kuffah is offensive because it was racist slang in South Africa and, to a lesser extent, the UK. It's not because it means infidel.
Let's bomb Russia!