News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shots fired on Biden's House

Started by jimmy olsen, January 18, 2015, 08:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

You really have to be crazy to try to take out thw VP, what's the point?

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30872510

Shots fired outside Joe Biden's house in Delaware
7 hours ago

From the section US & Canada

Shots were fired near US Vice-President Joe Biden's house in the state of Delaware, but he was away at the time, a Secret Service official has said.

The shots were fired on Saturday from a public road in Greenville, outside a security perimeter, Robert Hoback said.
The road is several hundred metres from the house, and officials were searching to see if the shots had hit anything.
The incident, which happened at about 20:25 on Saturday (01:25 GMT Sunday), is under investigation.

The Secret Service said the vehicle from which the shots were fired "drove by the vice president's residence at a high rate of speed".

"The shots were heard by Secret Service personnel posted at the residence, and a vehicle was observed by an agent leaving the scene at a high rate of speed," it said.
Mr Biden's office says the vice-president and his wife, Jill, were later briefed on the incident.

One man was arrested later nearby but it is not known if he was directly involved in the shooting.

The Bidens spend many weekends at the Delaware house, the Associated Press news agency reports.

The incident comes four months after an intruder armed with a knife managed to dodge guards and enter the White House.
The head of the Secret Service stepped down over that breach and previous lapses in security surrounding the president.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I was thinking the other day that it's surprising no one's ever tried to assassinate Supreme Court justices (afaik?).

Consider it:

1)unlike elected officials, they hold office essentially for life, so it really is the only way they'll ever be removed if you believe it to be necessary.
2)killing an elected official will simply make then a martyr for their cause, leading to more support for that cause, and they will simply be replaced by an even more powerful version of what you just destroyed (i.e., Kennedy to Johnson), except in certain special, anachronistic cases (Lincoln to the other Johnson).
3)if you kill them while the president of your side is sitting, the replacements for Supreme Court justices will be significantly more likely to be to your liking.

(As a bonus, 4)Supreme Court justices are lawyers, and hence easily cowed.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2015, 10:31:43 PM
I was thinking the other day that it's surprising no one's ever tried to assassinate Supreme Court justices (afaik?).

Consider it:

1)unlike elected officials, they hold office essentially for life, so it really is the only way they'll ever be removed if you believe it to be necessary.
2)killing an elected official will simply make then a martyr for their cause, leading to more support for that cause, and they will simply be replaced by an even more powerful version of what you just destroyed (i.e., Kennedy to Johnson), except in certain special, anachronistic cases (Lincoln to the other Johnson).
3)if you kill them while the president of your side is sitting, the replacements for Supreme Court justices will be significantly more likely to be to your liking.

You're not on an NSA watchlist.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Consider it:

You do have a point.  It's actually amazing nobody shot Earl Warren.  That was a man who was, really, really, really hated.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Hilary's really taking no chances this time :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Consider it:

Yeah. And 5) Noone would cry after Scalia.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 04:17:13 AM

Scalia would be missed.  Thomas, on the other hand, wouldn't be missed until it was time to vote and someone noticed that there were only eight people voting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2015, 12:25:51 PM

Scalia would be missed.  Thomas, on the other hand, wouldn't be missed until it was time to vote and someone noticed that there were only eight people voting.
:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2015, 12:25:51 PM

Sometimes if you listen very, very careful to the audio transcripts, you can hear Clarence breathing.  Sometimes.

Eddie Teach

Many politicians are also lawyers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2015, 11:44:28 PM
Hilary's really taking no chances this time :o

She's been Biden her time.

MadImmortalMan

Consider it:

They key to surviving the presidency is to make sure you don't pick a VP named Johnson.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

And don't give speeches in the rain, or turn down crazy people for jobs, or keep getting reelected until you die.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 20, 2015, 02:19:06 PM
They key to surviving the presidency is to make sure you don't pick a VP named Johnson.

Didn't help McKinley and Garfield. :P

derspiess

Good thing Joe wasn't home.  He'd have blasted a few shells through the door.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall