Proud To Be A Brit Today

Started by mongers, January 16, 2015, 09:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Proud to be a Brit today:

School sport: Study suggests most pupils never shower after PE
By Adam Brimelow
Health Correspondent, BBC News

More than half of secondary school boys and two-thirds of girls never shower after PE, a study suggests.

The paper, in the European Journal of Sports Sciences, concludes pupils who do not shower are less active.

The researchers, from the University of Essex, say these children may miss out on the health benefits of PE lessons.

Public Health England says schools have an important role to play in shifting attitudes to encourage physical activity.

This study says showering routinely after PE is extremely rare.

Nearly four thousand children took part in the study, from eight state secondary schools across Essex, covering urban, rural, affluent and deprived neighbourhoods.

All had hot working showers in male and female changing rooms.

The researchers say children may be holding back in PE lessons - and therefore missing out on the health benefits - because of anxiety about needing a shower.
'Less fit'

Those who did not shower were less active, and - among girls - less fit.

Just over one in two boys in the study said they never showered, about one in three said they did occasionally, and one in 10 said they always had a shower after PE.

Two out of three girls said they never took a shower after a PE lesson, and one in four said they did sometimes. About one in 13 said they always showered.

Dr Gavin Sandercock, who led the study, said he was surprised at how rare showering had become.

"We know that children aren't getting enough physical activity because we have seen their fitness declining; if the unwillingness to shower is a barrier to working up a sweat or playing sport it's something we need to tackle to promote activity at schools."

Full Article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30796304
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

We weren't allowed to, which was just...weird.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

It's probably the same in all of the Western world. Surely there's something else for you to be proud of, for example I hear that your city of Birmingham is very beautiful.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

You're proud that 9/10 boys and 12/13 of girls have body image issues, which the article indicates are not imagined, that shame them into not showering?  Britannia rules the waves, I guess.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

QuoteGavin Sandercock

P.S.: Lol.  But I barely know her cock!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

Are they talking about exercise classes or team sports at school? We used to shower after all the PE classes. What's the issue that they don't do it? I figured the teachers would monitor that or something.

Ideologue

There are laws against that sort of thing in this country, buddy.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 09:36:30 PM
Lol.   :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 09:36:30 PM

In my high school the boys PE coach teacher had a window looking into the shower room.   For some reason the girls PE teacher often had to use that phone in that office when we were showering.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2015, 09:17:06 PM
We weren't allowed to, which was just...weird.

What?  That doesn't make any sense.  Who came up with that policy?

CountDeMoney

I don't think there was ever a single case of anybody ever ever showering after PE class that I can recall.

Hell, we didn't shower after wrestling practice, just wanted to get the hell out of there and go home.  Showered then.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 11:06:54 PM
Gross.

Why do you assume she's gross, just because she teaches p.e.?

Yeah, I never showered, neither did anyone else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 17, 2015, 12:27:21 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 11:06:54 PM
Gross.

Why do you assume she's gross, just because she teaches p.e.?

Yeah, I never showered, neither did anyone else.

Why do you assume that the girl's P.E. teacher is, in fact, a she.  Sexist.